alternator prob can someone help me like now! lol

built04SS

Yeah I have a scan tool but have to wait till next week when I put my trans in so I don't throw anymore codes... could you possibly text me so we can talk during the process instead of the site lol

Yeah, we can do that. But first, give me any details that can help with troubleshooting. Is your original alternator a Delphi AD230 and the upgrade an AD244? How's the belt tension, a little tight? Are there four pins inside the alternator connector? I think I know what's going on, the power coating of your alternator housing.. Pop off the back cover and you'll see two brush clips to the left of the wire connection. The top goes to the voltage regulator and the bottom to ground. If that bottom clip isn't getting a good ground your alternator with not work correctly. That brush is controlled by the regulator to turn your alternator on. If your not sure what I'm talking about, take some pics and we'll go from there.

Edited by highvoltamps (see edit history)

Well I've put 4 alternators on it last week and its still going in limp mode.... I've cleaned allllll the powder coating off the necessary areas on the bracket and put a non powdercoated alternator on it ... I'll look at the pin and all that tomorrow but it is a 4 pin alternator

Check your pins inside the wiring connector for any corrosion. Use a temporary wire jumper from one of the alternator mounts to a good grounding point so we know it's getting properly grounded. Also what all do you have not connected right now? The body, powertrain and the output driver modules have to be connected. A scan would be helpful for futher troubleshooting, sounds like there's an issue with the control signals from the pcm or your new alternators regulator.

Where did you get this alternator? Do you have a model number? Or take a pic with the back cover off. Have you tried to put the 105 amp back on to see if the problem goes away.. Can you give me a detailed description of what exactly happens with the new alternator? I can help you out but I need the details so I can pin point the problem. I'll have a little time later on to text you through the troubleshooting but for now the info would be a good start.

I work at a Chevrolet dealership and put 2 new factory 105 amps on it and 2 new 145 amp alternators on it and if you plug them up and crank the truck up it will run for about 30 seconds or so and go into reduced engine mode but instead of running like crap it just shuts the whole truck off and will not start back up unless you reset the computer and it only does it when the alternator is hooked up but if you unhook it it will run off of battery all day until the battery dies