exhaust help..

cleansss20

I've got Obx Lt headers with no cats with a magnaflow di/do turned down past the rearend. The drone isn't bad and loud exhausts dont bother me, but this thing sounds like a 4x4 with straight pipes! It pops and crackles and sounds horrible under mid throttle, WOT you can't really tell because it is so loud and idling it sounds great. But when I punch it it sounds like crap. What can I do to make it sound better? Add another muffler in line with it? Different muffler? I don't really want to buy a corsa (i know thats going to be the first thing some people say) Thanks...I know alot of you guys run these headers.

I ran the same setup as you for a few years. Mine sounded great. I dumped mine before the axle but it was way to loud. Never had a bad rasp or crackle.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

The dude just put LT's on, why would he want to choke it with cats (hi flow or otherwise)? The fact that others have stated they had the same set up and it sounded good with no crackling supports the theory that he's running lean. I'm not saying all vehicles are the same, just that it makes sense he's running lean. Sure, putting a high flow cat on will reduce flow and therefore richen the AF, fixing the problem, but then your defeating the purpose of headers. You did all that work FOR FLOW! Get the most you can. Match it with fuel. So, the question is have you been retuned and if so who's your tuner? Do you have a wideband?

What size of pipe are you running? And is it mandrel bent or is it crush bent? If your truck has crush bent and awd. You have to make some pretty nasty bends at the crossmember. This will sometimes cause a crapy sounding exhaust. Trust me I've been there!!

Back pressure changes can and will cause exhaust gas to change its pattern which will cause crackling. Adding a small amount of back pressure with high flow cats will not adversely affect the headers. Engines need back pressure, and without it you will affect HP. High flow cats are indeed HIGH FLOW, and are meant and built for situations around this problem.

• 4 weeks later...