Head/Intake Combo

I picked up a set of 243's during the week and this weekend I ended up getting an LY6 with 823's. I currently have a TBSS intake manifold that I was planning on using with the 243's but now I'm considering using the 823's with the intake off of the LY6. Which setup would be better to run, I've heard nothing but good things from both setups. My goals for the truck are to make good low end power because it's my DD, I plan on putting in a tsp 220r while I'm installing the heads and intake.

Edited by SSSilverado33 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

My vote: sell the 243's + TBSS intake, and put that money into boring the LY6 0.030-over (to unshroud the valves) & porting the 823's. You're gonna need a bigger fuel pump! :O If you want to stick to a top-end upgrade, I would still use the Gen-IV stuff, take the money from selling the 243's + TBSS intake and have them ported!

Mr. P.

I am more than sure the TBSS plenum along with the 243 heads maybe ported or not lol along with your cam will be sick!!!! Be sure to get a 3600 stall edge I love mine

Does the 3600 do ok on the street? I was leaning towards a 2500-3000 just because mine sees more daily driving duty and limited track time.

I'm running a LY6 top end. It's a L92 top end really. The LY6 gen lV intake is a TBSS intake that's rectangle port. And the 823 castings are badass. Get dual valve springs though, that intake valve is heavy!

I would like to run an entire setup similar to yours. How do you like the powerband? It is really streetable? I have been doing some reading and I think it was in Hot Rod magazine they ran dyno numbers with 243s vs 823s both stock and the 243s were better until about 3k and then the 823s really took off.

Does the 3600 do ok on the street? I was leaning towards a 2500-3000 just because mine sees more daily driving duty and limited track time.

I would like to run an entire setup similar to yours. How do you like the powerband? It is really streetable? I have been doing some reading and I think it was in Hot Rod magazine they ran dyno numbers with 243s vs 823s both stock and the 243s were better until about 3k and then the 823s really took off.

Your info is correct. The L92 heads love the revs. If you're going with a 3000+ stall then the 823s are the way to go because that'll put you in the higher flow range. If you're cammed you'll be moving your powerband up anyway where the 823s love to flow, especially in the 6000+rpm range. I'm shifting at 6600 1st to 2nd. Very street able.