Overheating problems

tim03ss

Lately i've been having problems with my truck running hot while towing my RV. I've been towing with it for two seasons now and it just starting acting up this summer. It's normally only on the warmer days i have issues, this past thursday morning i took it out, and it was only in the mid 70's in the morning and it started spewing out coolant when i was parking it. Towed it home yesterday and all was fine. Is there something in the tune i should have looked at, or would there be a mechanical issue somewhere? Just not sure where to start.

I would start by checking the T stat, and how old the coolant is. You may have air trapped in the system, this can happen from a faulty overflow coolant reservoir cap. I would check your lower and upper hoses for temperature, they should both be hot and firm. if one is not, its most likely a bad t stat.

I would take the reservoir cap off, put your heat on full blast on defrost. That will helo get out any air that might be trapped. After the truck has been running and is up to temp. put cap back on.

I would start by checking the T stat, and how old the coolant is. You may have air trapped in the system, this can happen from a faulty overflow coolant reservoir cap. I would check your lower and upper hoses for temperature, they should both be hot and firm. if one is not, its most likely a bad t stat.

I would take the reservoir cap off, put your heat on full blast on defrost. That will helo get out any air that might be trapped. After the truck has been running and is up to temp. put cap back on.

agreed.sounds like a bad t-stat.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Coolant replacement, thermostat and coolant tank cap replacement would be on my list if precautionary measures. If there isn't a leak or bad bearing, I can count the number of genuine faulty eater pumps I've done on one hand. One was a vw, they're plastic and the impeller breaks, the other was a Taurus. Sand left in coolant ports from casting wears the blades out. Unless it's leaking or has a bad bearing I'd leave the water pump be.

Truck has 154k miles, i've had it since 116. Don't know if the Tstat or water pump have been replaced. Truck also has Efans. Coolant is a little over a year old from when i did my cam swap.

Maybe now is a good time for a 160* Tstat?

Your truck is a 2003 it came with the second style (thermostate built into housing) unless it was changed over to the 2004 and newer style seperate thermostate and seperate housing. Hope this helps you. Kevin