Who's from New England?

demonte1997

I threw up a post about my truck and the awful noise it is making on the front end. http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/83493-front-end-thunking-sound-while-under-load-please-help/

Wondering if anyone lives up my way that might have a minute to take a listen. It's really something that probably has to be seen/heard... without that I'll likely just end up throwing parts at it (well... already have with little success). I'm leaning heavy towards transfer case. At which point I may just try to get a spare from the JY and rebuild it myself. Already done u-joints and no change in sound. Might be hubs but I'm doubtful.

If not that, even if someone can recommend a shop in CT that does decent work and who is reliable. I am very weary of dealerships... Some are fantastic but most are not. Most places by me don't have the slightest clue on what to do with an AWD truck.

Thanks guys

I couldn't get a video to load, gota actual link?

**edit** here's a truck we had in our shop with the t-case shot this was a selectable 4wd Tho not AWD

http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/blnawayss/media/IMG_0320_zpsff1fb26c.mp4.html

th_IMG_0320_zpsff1fb26c.jpg

Edited by BLNAWAY (see edit history)

^^ Geez. That thing sounds pretty damn rough... almost like a tank on tracks. :ohmy: Mine has more of that deep choo choo train sound and only when you're on the gas, lower rpms, under enough load to make the noise and when rpms go up noise goes away a bit. That's not to say my transfer case isn't bad and it just sounds different from inside the truck while it is on the ground.

Front diff is a scary thought. That would probably be a harder fix. :/

Keeping this bumped in the hopes someone up my way has been down this path or may have a bit of knowledge about it.

edit: I'll try to get an actual vid of the noise but it might be hard to pick up over camera.

Edited by demonte1997 (see edit history)

I changed the oil on the diff about 500 miles ago. It was making the noise prior to that. The oil looked fine. Had some metal shavings on the plug but seemed normal otherwise. When you say having the diff serviced, does that mean going to GM and having their techs look at it? Do they actually take the thing apart and replace parts that are broken or worn? I'm very trepidatious about having a tech at GM rack up a large tab if it won't fix a potential problem. I've had amazing techs at dealers and terrible techs.

The sound starts at 10mph and continues all the way to about 50. It is much worse at lower speeds and when the rpms are low (with load on the system). I've noticed the sound has begun to extend to 60 in the past few weeks. If I go over 70, I get a humming sound that comes and goes. That sound seems different and is very similar to a wheel bearing.

I'm happy to look for a parts truck and start getting some cores to have rebuilt. Just hoping to narrow down the issue/s before I spend more time and $.

Thanks again for the input.

The tires are brand new Michelins. I also ran with another set of wheels/tires to rule it out and no change. There is a little vibration through the steering wheel and pedal while I hear the noise.

New hubs going on Friday night so I keep my fingers crossed that resolves it.

One other thing to note: The sound goes away completely when there is load on the system going up an incline (for example: 2,000 rpms to accelerate up a steep hill). I hear absolutely no noise and feel no vibration in this sort of condition. It's uncanny. I wonder if it has to do with weight transfer..

Thanks again for your time. I appreciate it.

Edited by demonte1997 (see edit history)

Hubs are done. The truck feels tighter after that but the clunking sound/vibration is still there. Feels like it is coming up through the floorboard...

On the bright side, the passenger side hub was shot. Couldn't even turn it by hand. It was practically welded onto the knuckle. The driver side wasn't terrible but not great either.

Jack the rear up and check for up/down play in the axle bearings. Then do a little spin test and feel for and listen for a binding. Then grab the pinion yoke and check that for play. I have a feeling its in the rear end.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2