Why is the VMax crew so tall?

Brentd

I love my truck. It has everything I want, but it sits so freaking high. Why? Today I traded my 24s to a guy who happened to have the same dealer option split six 20s I bought the truck with (strange coincidence). I traded back down to 20s for the ride quality, but mainly because it just didnt look right lol. I had 305 35 20s on it and it didnt come close to filling the wheel well. He put them on his 05 1/2 ton crew and they looked great, fender was only a couple inches over the tire. Why does his sit so much lower, all he has is drop shackles to level. I put 2" drop shackles on it about a year ago to level it but mine still looks tall. Help lol

Edit***305-35-24, not 20 lol

Edited by Brentd (see edit history)

Does your truck still have the rear axle lift blocks, if so that will make your rear end sit much higher than his if his were removed. You can turn down the front torsion bars, or get some front drop lower control arms or drop spindles to match the rear once it is lower. Should be very straight forward with whatever route you take to lower your truck.

I want to, trust me. Sorry I didnt put pictures I do everything internet related either on my phone or ipad and all my picture options are too large to upload on here and I am clueless as to how to make them smaller without emailing them to myself and then resaving them to use on here.

Is this what you are talking about? Would I have to chop the bump stop down ? This block is like 2" wouldI be able to match the front by just cranking on the torsion bars. That seems like a lot of drop via torsion bars. I have heard that dropping Iit with the torsions isnt very good..

post-25729-0-38040500-1381859923_thumb.jpg

Yes that's the lift block, you can remove that from the rear and loosen your torsion key screws thus allowing the front to come down. It's only bad if you turn down your torsion keys too far to a point where it can't be aligned properly. A good alignment shop can adjust those as low as possible to a within specs and still get you aligned right. Now if the back sits too low just adjust your shackle setting. I read that you already have drop shackles right?

Is this what you are talking about? Would I have to chop the bump stop down ? This block is like 2" wouldI be able to match the front by just cranking on the torsion bars. That seems like a lot of drop via torsion bars. I have heard that dropping Iit with the torsions isnt very good..

BINGO!!

Yes that's the lift block, you can remove that from the rear and loosen your torsion key screws thus allowing the front to come down. It's only bad if you turn down your torsion keys too far to a point where it can't be aligned properly. A good alignment shop can adjust those as low as possible to a within specs and still get you aligned right. Now if the back sits too low just adjust your shackle setting. I read that you already have drop shackles right?

^^^this and she'll sit lower

Yea I have drop shackles, I put them in but iirc I believ they only had one hole but I mighr be mistaken...so I could get a 2/4 drop safely without losing my ride this way?

Well since you are raised 2" by lift blocks and dropped 2" by shackles now you are at stock ride height in back. So if you remove the lift blocks your drop shackles will only give you 2" drop not 4"

On a shackle and t-key drop it's usually considered a 1" maybe 2" front and 2" rear so a 1/2 or 2/2.

In order to do a 2/4 properly you would need 2" front drop spindles, turn torsion keys back up closer to stock position and add Hangers in the rear for a 4" total.

Edited by Bad Ass Silvy (see edit history)

Also if you do a 2/4 you will want to replace your stock shocks with "drop shocks" My truck runs smoother dropped 3/4 than it did stock.

Just with a 1/2 or 2/2 drop you shouldn't notice any change in ride. Especially if you are back with 20s vs. 24s. That to me is the most significant "ride changer" I guess you'd call it.