down firing sub boxes

mr84ss

whats up ss brothers. i have a question.i just bought some 10 inch jl audio speakers, i dont know what kind though. I saw a down firing box for $100. do any one have any experience on how they sound in the our ss truck?

I also had a down fire box for my one sub, and i hated it. All I heard was rattling from the sheet metal inside my cab. I went and bought sealed box that would fit under my seat so the sub would face up and no more rattling. I would suggest myself avoiding a down fire box. They do have a decent sound, but when the sub faces upward you can tell the difference right away of better sound.

I like my upfire box. But as with any sub and enclosure they should be matched. Proper amount of cf of airspace as the sub calls for with the type of enclosure.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Ive had both aswell and both sound great as long as this is applyed --vvvv

I like my upfire box. But as with any sub and enclosure they should be matched. Proper amount of cf of airspace as the sub calls for with the type of enclosure. Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

Like Sinr said you want to match the subs with the correct type of air space they need. And different type of boxes require different size of a box also. Ported boxes seem to be boomier, Sealed boxes tend to be smaller, benefits are you can put more power to the sub and sealed boxes are tighter bass. Then there is the Isobaric box, they are half the size of a sealed box and you fire two subs at each other. They are good for small areas but come at the cost of sound quality is little less than the sealed box.

And remember its better to over power a sub than to under power it. Its when you turn the head unit up to much to where it starts to clip (distort) is when you will blow the speakers. I use to compete in USAC and my subs were rated for 250 rms and I was putting 500 rms to each of them. Ran that system without ever blowing a sub and had it for 10 years. At 149.8 db it wasn't no high school kid boom boom thing.

Man, the way you mount your subs is going to be entirely up to what you like, i have had both in the past, i had two 12s downfiring under the seat of a 02 Sierra extended cab and loved them. It is all in the quality of the box, quality of the speakers, correctly tuning them to the rest of your system, and chasing down things that vibrate. If you can tighten anything down that is loose you will be happy with any way you fire them.