Brake Help Please

SSorNothing

Hey everyone, I have a question or two. Today I was driving in the city and noticed my rear right brakes were squeaking. So I thought "no big deal, pads are worn and I'll change them tomorrow", next red light I come to, I press the pedal, hear a loud clunk and lose brake pressure. So obviously I'm freaked out. I go to the nearest place to pull over and take a look, and the caliper is pissing fluid everywhere. It's not the line and I don't know a lot about brakes so if anyone could chime in and help me out that would be great. I have a feeling this is gunna set me back a few bucks. Thanks

Sounds like you need to replace the caliper. They have seals that can go bad over time. Its somewhat rare for them to randomly fail, but anyways you just need a new caliper and maybe rotor if it's bad and a set of rear pads. Shouldn't be to hard of a job.

Well after taking off the rear wheel I found out that I lost a pad, a piston and half of rotor is literally sheered off. That would explain the clunking noises. Is there anyway to get around going to the dealer to get it bled?

The only thing that you need a Tech 2 to bleed is the ABS pump, which shouldn't be necessary if you are just replacing the calipers. The normal way of bleeding the brakes using the caliper bleeders should be fine....

Calipers are relatively cheap on my V Max. I think i saw them for 30 something dollars at one auto store. Really is a straight forward job replacing pads calipers and rotors. Not sure about the price of rotors, last pads i bought were the ceramics at oreilleys and they were a little pricey, stop my crew cab pretty well but squeak like nobodys business when they are cold

Agreed with Blown and Fireman, an automated bleed w/ a Tech 2 isn't necessary for just a caliper replacement. If you are having trouble bleeding the brakes normally, then it can be helpful.

If you decide to get brake parts from a dealer, the AC Delco calipers come with caliper brackets/saddles and pins.

Just to clear things up, the only reason to use a Tech 2 to bleed the lines is if air is introduced into the system between the between the master cylinder and the ABS module or if air has worked its way up the lines. The lowest point for the rear line is running along the underside of the cab, so a person shouldn't need to do anything more than a normal bleed as proven by the OP.

Edited by rudy91040 (see edit history)