spring rate + seat pressure + pushrod length checking

my knowledge is foggy right now about what seat pressure you are searching for out of your valvesprings and how to choose the right one and the correct way to go about doing it.

plan on running a custom grind from Tick Performance. I dont know which lobes. with BTR lifters, and BTR Platinum Springs. The rates for the springs are as follows: 155lbs @ 1.780", 380lbs @ 1.180", 400lbs @ 1.130", coil bind @ 1.070"

stock valves, 317 head milled .030, stock guides. What is desired seat pressure? How do you find it? are there other factors that will change things? Also is there a write up for pushrod length? How to find correct length? Do either influence eachother (srping rate vs. pushrod length)?

I think I have all the info in another post for pushrod length checking. I could give you a walk through but it would take to long to type on my phone. I worked with Brian with setting up my heads with his springs and will try to give you that info when I get off work this week.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

I think I have all the info in another post for pushrod length checking. I could give you a walk through but it would take to long to type on my phone. I worked with Brian with setting up my heads with his springs and will try to give you that info when I get off work this week. Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

you do i tried finding but cant seem to :banghead:

First of all you will need some special tools. Spring height micrometer, spring pressure tester, caliper, spring remove/install tool, and dial indicator, and base plate, and some basic tools you prob already have.

I will try to do a write up on it this week when I get off work for the week. Btw if you need some thinner spring seats I have some from Brian.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Edited by sinr98 (see edit history)

First of all you will need some special tools. Spring height micrometer, spring pressure tester, caliper, spring remove/install tool, and dial indicator, and base plate, and some basic tools you prob already have. I will try to do a write up on it this week when I get off work for the week. Btw if you need some thinner spring seats I have some from Brian. Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

I'll keep a look out for your how to, also. I'm with Steve in wanting to get my head straight on this process.

:pop:

• 2 weeks later...

Theres sure to be good info here. Awaiting write up :pop:

instead of just throwing some parts at it and not knowing if they are perfect for each other or not.

Good call. Research is a must before wasting money playing the trial and error game. The more research and planning, the better the build will be, and your money will be more wisely spent.

sweet cant wait! I talked to brian tooley about my cam and springs and the whole valvetrain. he squared me away with the right parts needed but a full explanation is definitely in order for the site.

Little update on the how-to.

I went out and did the process with pics. Then when I went to do the pressures with my new spring pressure tester, I got some scary low numbers. They were about 10# off my previously measures seat pressure, and 40# off my open pressure. I came to the conclusion that my gauge needs calibrated, so I have to order a calibration spring for it. I have basically everything else done but will wait to do it all till I get the gauge calibrated.

Little update on the how-to.

I went out and did the process with pics. Then when I went to do the pressures with my new spring pressure tester, I got some scary low numbers. They were about 10# off my previously measures seat pressure, and 40# off my open pressure. I came to the conclusion that my gauge needs calibrated, so I have to order a calibration spring for it. I have basically everything else done but will wait to do it all till I get the gauge calibrated.

Thanks for all the hard work. Cant wait to see your full write up!