what gears? who has 4:56 or 4:88 gears

rim size does. it'll drop weight and usually you go to a shorter tire when you get smaller rims anyways. but if you want the look of the stock 20s go to a overall smaller diameter tire it'll be like swapping gears.

Ex. i was running the stock 275/55R20s (31.9 inch diameter) with the stock 4:10s. I switched to a 275/45R20 (29.7 inch tire i believe) and left the stock 4:10s in, but because i went to a shorter tire it was as if i swapped my gearing to 4:37s. im recalling all the math off hand but im pretty sure those are the numbers.

Driving with that tall of a gear for a daily will be horrible with gas mileage. You will gain low end but will lose alot of top end power. I myself wouldnt do it.

It wouldnt be a great idea to not do the front diff and do the rear. You will surely destroy the front. If you do change gearing do it for the front and rear.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

Of course I will change both front and back gears if I do swap also I am considering the smaller tires, these tires I have are still go so maybe some time later, or maybe next time I need new tires. Thanks guys for the tips. Do yall know how much the ss's stock 20's weigh lol their pretty heavy

Edited by AugustBurnsRed19 (see edit history)

• 8 months later...

I was thinking of swapping to 4:56 or 4:88 aswell. My buddy has a 5.3L with around 400hp at the crank and went with 4:56. He said if he did it again he would have gone 4:88. The difference in gas mileage with his 4:56 isnt as bad as everyone says, in town its better (engine works less) but highway a little worse. Only revs 200rpm higher on the highway with his 4:56 compared to 4:10. Go with 4:88!!!

The issue with this I feel is that once you get into the bigger power (which we'll all get into if we continue down the mod road) is that you'll have too short of a gear. With a FI set up and 4.56/4.88s 1st gear will be useless and you'll end up going back to 4.10s or even taller, or re gearing the Trans.

• 1 month later...