did he get it right

Brentd

So I had my truck tuned about a year ago. I just dont know if he got it right. People seem to really like the guy and he definately has the years of big horsepower experience. I dont want to say he didnt but I just dont know if I am feeling what everyone else is feeling in their tunes. Everyone is head over heels about Justin, Zippy, and Wheatley as far as what their tunes brought to their driving experience. Just want to know if I got that but just had higher expectations.

when i had mine tuned i didnt really feel a difference normal driving, i notice 1-2mpg gain on hwy if i dont hammer on it passing people, the real difference i felt was when id get on it lot stiffer shift points, and when i made it to the track that info was proven i have "what i like to call a 2 stage tune"... i dont tow at all so had my tow/haul button set up for WOT runs (1/4 basicly) this is where i had a proven difference with it in its normal mode tow not active i would avg 15.1-14.9 in 1/4mile with my tow active id stay right at 14.8 down to my PB of 14.68@92 so in my case i have a .3 difference in tune modes

Yea..I had him turn tow/haul into beast mode. I dont use it often because i had him remove all the TM off of tow haul so to be honest I am a little scared to use it. It holds 1st gear to about 22 mph when I am putting along lol and when I get on it it shifts really high in the revs. I had him leave some TM in normal mode, about 25 or 30 % iirc. He bumped the line pressure about 5lbs and raised the shift points up several hundred rpms. I do not get good mpg, but i dont care cuz I work 3 miles from my house. I can make a tank last almost a month sometimes and its my DD. I think he removed the PE delay? He tweaked the afr. He tried to add 1 degree of timing and it wouldnt take it anywhere in the table so I had to run the 87 out and I came back with 93 and he was able to 5 to 6 degrees of timing across the board. I did install a vette servo just now and oh my god! Normal shifting is definately amazing now! It was chirping second, I do need new tires but it wasnt doing that before. Also made my 2 to 3 shift way more pronounced.

It would be nice to hear from zippy or someone who tackles these tunes to know if I asked for the right setip from my tuner. I didnt want to do anything that could tear up my transmission, but I did want as much performance from the engine I could get. Should I have him go over it again with anything in particular in mind. He is a stellar dude and I really think he is a capable tuner.

Its not that it doesnt seem right per say. This is my first big V8 since the 99 3/4 ton i had when i was a teenager, and trust me that thing was a turd, awesome truck but to say it was lacking in the performance department is an understatement. My concern is whether or not i got all the bang for my buck with the tuning that i could have. I know i have a cc so that adds some weight to the issue, but i just want to make sure that i am getting what everyone else is getting with their tunes. I trust the guy i just want to make sure. I know without a dyno comparison i cant really see it in numbers but i was wondering if there were certain major traits that a great tune exhibit over lets say a mild tune.

You could always go to the alternative dyno... Some call it the 1/4 mile :-D

Unfortunately that dyno is in Baytown and i am several hours away. But it is not out of the question for the near future. I have to run off of the more unconventional butt cheek dyno

Never ran it man. So no pudding for the proof. I love the way it runs, so i should be ok, i just hear so much praise for the three gods of tuning i just fear i am missing out.you know, everyone wants the best for their baby.

I think you will be fine with your current tuner as of right now... As far as the three gods of tuning, If you didn't start with them in the begining and your truck isn't acting out with your current tune I'd stay with them, until you decide to do some major upgrades such as bigger cubes, cam, heads, or FI... In that case I would definatley lean towards one of the Big Three lol... You can only squeeze so much out of a basic tune and most tuners even amatures can bust out a decent stock tune( I consider myself an amature tuner and I think I can bust out a decent stock truck tune but I havn't even touched a Spark or VE table on my SSS, all that glory is respectfully Wheatleys hard work and always will be no matter how good I get at tuning, he does a bang up job taking care of me at all times of day and night and out of respect of his years of tunning this beast I keep my hands out of it) ... But once that stock goes above exhaust, servos, and CAI I'd trust no one else but the great 3... :wink:

With all that said don't come to me if a ammy tuner jacks up a stock tune and finds a way to grenade a stock motor because you got a some shmo with a set of cables to finger F#$k your PCM controls just to save a buck. Just like tattoo artists you get what you pay for... Some drunken/high corner hobo with a machine ready to ink you up to be the next Tattoo Nightmare client or a clean sterile license shop with years of good work... There is always the best Dr in the world and there is always the worst one... Do some reasearch... You just have to weigh :daz: sometimes... Down to the bread and butter of your question... If it is from a shop that has a decent rep.. I think you will be just fine with your current tune as I don't think any of the big 3 will free up much if any more hp's or Tq with your current mods... Save the money down the road for some bigger mods and then come back and re-evaluate your tuning needs... Just my .02

I think you will be fine with your current tuner as of right now... As far as the three gods of tuning, If you didn't start with them in the begining and your truck isn't acting out with your current tune I'd stay with them, until you decide to do some major upgrades such as bigger cubes, cam, heads, or FI... In that case I would definatley lean towards one of the Big Three lol... You can only squeeze so much out of a basic tune and most tuners even amatures can bust out a decent stock tune( I consider myself an amature tuner and I think I can bust out a decent stock truck tune but I havn't even touched a Spark or VE table on my SSS, all that glory is respectfully Wheatleys hard work and always will be no matter how good I get at tuning, he does a bang up job taking care of me at all times of day and night and out of respect of his years of tunning this beast I keep my hands out of it) ... But once that stock goes above exhaust, servos, and CAI I'd trust no one else but the great 3... :wink:

With all that said don't come to me if a ammy tuner jacks up a stock tune and finds a way to grenade a stock motor because you got a some shmo with a set of cables to finger F#$k your PCM controls just to save a buck. Just like tattoo artists you get what you pay for... Some drunken/high corner hobo with a machine ready to ink you up to be the next Tattoo Nightmare client or a clean sterile license shop with years of good work... There is always the best Dr in the world and there is always the worst one... Do some reasearch... You just have to weigh :daz: sometimes... Down to the bread and butter of your question... If it is from a shop that has a decent rep.. I think you will be just fine with your current tune as I don't think any of the big 3 will free up much if any more hp's or Tq with your current mods... Save the money down the road for some bigger mods and then come back and re-evaluate your tuning needs... Just my .02

Thank you man. My tuner was really cool, we drove my truck up and down the road a lot while he was evaluating how it was running. Had to pull into several places to kill the truck so he could make his adjustments. I feel like he did a good job and the truck is fun to drive, even though it is a crew. Plannin on talking to danny this evening to come up with some direction for it. Oh and dont get me started on tattoos. I have got one on my side that is proof you never let a guy put ink on you after he has been going for 7 hours straight before getting to you. Dude drilled the sh&t out of my side and blew out pretty much the entire tat. It looks like a damn prison tat