automatic fogs

Brentd

I would really like for my fog lights to come on automatically with my headlights. Anyone have any insight into how to do this properly? I dont want to jump the wires or anything else that is going to constantly blow fuses or dim my lights or heat up wires because of too much draw. I want to do it right and safe.

The only option would be to re pin the fog lights to the headlight relay. Then you have to check to make sure the relay is large enough to support the voltage. If its not, then a larger relay would be needed as well as larger wiring so it doesnt burn the insulation jacket off the wire.

Pretty sure the relay wont be big enough that is a lot of draw for all 4. And as far as wiring are you talking about the entire wiring set up for headlights and fogs or the wires by the relay.

You can do the diode mod and run it from the headlights to the fog lights. It is very simple. I did it on my HD, but i got rid of it because I had 3000K HID's in the fogs and 4300K HIDs in the lows and it was way to bright and i kept getting flashed all of the time. Now i just run my fogs if I really need them. I never had any issues with blowing fuses, or flickering or dimming lights or anything.

Its super simple, just buy a diode and follow the same rules as the 4-high mod seen below, the only difference is you will need to run the diode from the 85 pin on the low beams to the 85 pin of the fog lights.

47155399.jpg

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. What type diode do i use and is it soldered in or just placed in the pins then secured in place by the relays. And is it possible to run another diode from the 85 pin on highs to 85 pin on lows to have the 4 high mod as well, or would that result in "god lights"

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. What type diode do i use and is it soldered in or just placed in the pins then secured in place by the relays. And is it possible to run another diode from the 85 pin on highs to 85 pin on lows to have the 4 high mod as well, or would that result in "god lights"

You can just go to radio shack or some place and get a diode, They are like $1 for 2. Just make sure you install it properly. A diode will have a line in on one side of it, make sure that line is on the side of the fog lights. I diode works buy letting the current go through one side, but not the other. So with the picture above the side with the line means that the current can go through that side, but not the other. when you turn on the highs it send a curent to the lows telling them to turn on. You can just pull the relay and you put the diode wire in the hole and plug the relay back in. the Diode wire is so thin that there wont be any issues plugging it back in.

Yes you can also do the 4-high mod. Many people have done the high 4 mod. It is almost required if you have HIDs in you lows because it takes a second for HID's to heat up and I was driving once for a long time with my highs, on and I went around a corner and had to switch back to my lows because of an oncoming car. The lows were so dim for a second I could barley see.

There is one problem, if you do the 4-high mod and have it so your fogs come on with your lows, then you will actually have 6 lights on when you turn on your highs, which is illegal. I tried it once for an experiment and it was crazy bright. I did it a little different I ran a Diode from the highs to the lows and the highs to the fogs, so when i turned my highs on it also turned on my fogs and lows.

Edited by diggerdan11 (see edit history)

yes you place each end of the diode under the relays. I did the 4 high mode and the fogs. I have 6 lights on when my brights are on. Works like a charm.

Ok cool...yea 6 lights was what i meant by god lights lol. I saw it called that a long time ago on a different forum. When i do the fogs, i just have to make sure the line is on the fog light side of the relay and then i am good to go. Think i can handle that. I never use my brights anymore, when i put the drop shackles in, it tilted the low beams up a tad and i get good coverage, sometimes get flashed for my lows, plus the fogs really help. I dont think i am supposed to run them unless there is fog, but i have been doing it for years and never got pulled over. I just get tired of having to turn them on every time i get in. Thank you man

Ok cool...yea 6 lights was what i meant by god lights lol. I saw it called that a long time ago on a different forum. When i do the fogs, i just have to make sure the line is on the fog light side of the relay and then i am good to go. Think i can handle that. I never use my brights anymore, when i put the drop shackles in, it tilted the low beams up a tad and i get good coverage, sometimes get flashed for my lows, plus the fogs really help. I dont think i am supposed to run them unless there is fog, but i have been doing it for years and never got pulled over. I just get tired of having to turn them on every time i get in. Thank you man

There are some people who have done what is called the 8-High mod. Your Highs, Lows, Fog Lights, and DRLs are all on at the same time (when you switch to your highs) its ridiculous and super illegal especially for those who have put HID's in there DRLs.

I just read a statement from Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) and it said that technically you are only suppose to run your fog lights in poor visibility and you are suppose to turn them off when you get within 500 ft of an oncoming car (just like with highs). I think that may be one of the dumbest rules I have ever heard in a long time. Its not like fog lights have a switch like highs do, so you would have to reach down every time you see a car and puch the off button on the Fogs. I use my fogs all the time and have never had any issues. Of course that is Oregon the land of the 55 MPH speed limits. The rules may be different in Cajun country.

Here is a picture of what you want to do that I just created. Some diodes have one end a different color and some have a line on one side. Just make sure that side is the one on the lows and you are good to go.

DiodeModlowsandfogs_zps6924ab54.png

Thank you man. Cajun country is funny, tint laws are 35%or less on fronts but i have been running 20% for years on mine and my wifes vehicle. Best I can say is I am careful, i have heard of people getting stopped for fogs, but if it does really happen it is probably from a cop on the rag at the time. I go to Texas all the time and still dont get bothered. Used to have 24s on my truck and if ever there was a time for some of our stereotyping smokies to pull me over it was then, but they still didnt. Its a crew cab truck in truck country so it doesnt really stand out too much.

That picture should be a sticky for auto on fogs.