2wd steering question

poopnewton

Never mind there's more differences in the 2wd and 4wd chassis than I thought.

On a side note, what was GM's logic in using a 4wd chassis on a 2wd truck? Is there any advantage in the 4wd chassis? I've never owned a 2wd truck before this one but it seems to me that the normal 2wd chassis would both handle and ride better than the torsion bar/ recirculating ball steering systems on our trucks.

i have owned both and i feel like (IMO) that the standard spring front end with rack and pinion was bouncier and the steering was a little quick and easier to turn. I also felt like the weight was more biased towards the front with the springs. Now to the torsion bar front end. It is much stiffer and a better ride than the springs. Even with the drop mine has. Had the same drop on both. Now handling is better with the SS and I feel the weight is more central or the center of gravity is more towards the center of the vehicle than the spring front end. Steering is just a tad stiffer with the non rack, BUT its one compromise ill gladly make that you can barely feel. This is just how I feel about it. Only things I wish the SS had was bigger and better brakes and factory supercharger.