Pacesetter LTs and Corsa sport

thwingster

Just got my LTs today. I'm thinking I'll get some high flow cats as well, but I'd like to leave the corsa cat back I have now. I'm happy with the sound and the litter I can keep my exhaust budget the more likely I'll be able to do a shift kit and tune down the road. So I'm wondering since the pacesetters have 3 in collectors and the corsa sport is a 3 in cat back should I get 3 in cats and replace the factory piping with the cats in them? So far my only mods are the cat back which was installed when I bought the truck and a cold air intake so I'm not making a lot of power and I don't want the exhaust system to be too open and lose power.

Also what should I expect cost wise to have new cats put in? I'm planning on doing the headers myself and would probably supply the cats to the shop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Your gonna have to piece the exhaust together. What I would do if you want cats is get some high flows and leave as much stock exhaust as possible. It will have to be custom. I had my cats welded right to my pacesetters. It's gonna change the sound. It's gonna get a little louder.

Do you have to have cats? If so then just have them welded to the collectors or have a y pipe made with them the collectors at the front of it.

I just did pacesetters and I was gonna do an x pipe with the existing dual Flowmasters I had in there but long story short I ended up ordering a pacesetter 3" y and used a Duramax 3.5" exhaust with a cutout. And I just got the electric cutout today. Sounds great and it'll be super quite when I want it to be.

I do want to keep the cats. I drive my truck up to Madison WI several times a year and I certainly dont mind the truck being louder but I would like to keep rasp and drone to a minimum. Any recommendations on high flow cats? How much room is there after the collectors for cats? If anyone could provide measurements or part numbers for cats that will fit I would really appreciate it.

Can anyone in the st Louis area recommend a good shop to do the work?

I gave up with trying to get measurements for mine which is why I went with the pre fabbed y pipe.

But your probably gonna want a resonator in that exhaust to tame the raspiness.

I have AWD and I thought the pacesetter y-pipe didn't fit. Am I wrong?

EDIT: According to the notes on pacesetters website for headers part no. 72C2265 y-pipe 82-1176 does not fit the 6.0L

Is this inaccurate?

Edited by thwingster (see edit history)

Pacesetter y will not work with any 6.0 cat back. Technically we originally do not have a y pipe from the factory. We have mid pipes because they do not merge at all with each other. Your exhaust should consist of your corsa cat back, pacesetter long tubes (have v bands or bolt threw flanges welded on), 3" mid pipes (custom made) with cats somewhere in there (exhaust shop will find best place for fitment), retain your factory connections so you can bolt and unbolt your mid pipes to access tranny. Cats will kill rasp. Any 3" carb legal cat will suffice. Easiest would be to find the smallest ones. Tyson1973 runs kooks cats with flow masters and has zero rasp. They're pricey but a nice piece. If it is still too raspy then add a resonator. You will thank yourself later for building it so you can unbolt it. Ask me how I know...

You'll get a little rasp with high flow cats... here is mine with high flow cats and corsa sport, stock manifolds not headers, headers would make it louder....

That's really helpful. Thank you!

As I've started looking into which cats to buy I've found there are more options than I thought there would be. On Magnaflow's website some are listed as pre-OBDII, there are ceramic, metallic, 2-way, 3-way... I haven't been able to find much information on what impact each has on performance or anything else. I'm just looking for a set of cats that will flow better than stock and not set of any red flags when I have to take my truck in for emissions testing. I've read some good reviews about Magnaflow's #59959, but again on their website it's listed as pre-OBDII.

I checked out the Kooks cats GI.SS recommended, but at over $300 each they're out of my price range.

Am I over thinking this? Will any 3" cat do the job?

GI.SS is right I used Kooks High Flow Cats off of a F-Body car. They don't sell them on their website but if you look on Craigslist you sound be able to find a Y-Pipe off of a F-Body for sale and just cut the cats off. I blew out the 2 1/2" out to 3" and welded up my old mid-pipes to it. I will be going to RJ's Custom Piping in Raleigh, NC to have a total cat-back true dual 3" custom exhaust with a x-pipe, and either 3" Spin Tech or SLP LM2 Mufflers. RJ is the only one besides Kooks who has a mandrel pipe bender in NC. I'm doing 3" exhaust for two reasons. First is because I hate to do things more then once and have to waste the money on doing it a second time. Second is because if you plan to make more power then the 3" piping will help out at least 5-10 HP.