so im getting ready to install a PI vigilante triple disk 9.5" 3000k stall, my current trans mods are - transgo-hd2 shift kit, 2/4 apply vette servos, billet overdrive servo, and a b&m trans cooler, i do plan on replacing the b&m with a tru cool40k. but my ?? is other than what i already have done/ planned what other upgrades can i do to support this converter without a complete tear down of the trans, i had hottelsss recommend a .500 boost valve, what else can be done with im installing the converter, a full tear down isnt in the budget, thanks for input in advance :cheers:

so im getting ready to install a PI vigilante triple disk 9.5" 3000k stall, my current trans mods are - transgo-hd2 shift kit, 2/4 apply vette servos, billet overdrive servo, and a b&m trans cooler, i do plan on replacing the b&m with a tru cool40k. but my ?? is other than what i already have done/ planned what other upgrades can i do to support this converter without a complete tear down of the trans, i had hottelsss recommend a .500 boost valve, what else can be done with im installing the converter, a full tear down isnt in the budget, thanks for input in advance :cheers:

The Transgo-HD2 C Shift kit that I had put in my SSS came with a .500 Boost Valve.

The Transgo-HD2 C Shift kit that I had put in my SSS came with a .500 Boost Valve.

good call i just check the part # on my trans go i bought and it did have the .500 boost valve so now thats checked off what else can i do.....

You should be good with those mods man. Unless your making like hp550+ I'm assuming. I'm probably making around 400-450 all I got for now is 3600 edge stall in the trans

i have a pretty hefty cam spec'd @ 223/223 .637/.641 112 lsa @.050 duration, from other ppl set ups with a cam close to mine they claim round 500hp, now im not saying im making 500hp on my build but i think ill be pretty close to that (prolly 450-500hp IS MY GUESS)

i have a pretty hefty cam spec'd @ 223/223 .637/.641 112 lsa @.050 duration, from other ppl set ups with a cam close to mine they claim round 500hp, now im not saying im making 500hp on my build but i think ill be pretty close to that (prolly 450-500hp IS MY GUESS)

Das a lotta lift! 450ish sounds about right with a stock top end.

so your putting the cam in along with a holly hi-ram, 90mm TB.... stock heads? stock exhaust manifolds? (if i recall, you had a cat back right?)?? if thats the case, i just dont see 500 hp happening. id say 450 hp (flywheel) is a better high-side estimate, in my professional opinion.

and as far as the converter, you dont really need to "support" it. as long as you keep the ATF cool, which you have already addressed, consider it as "supported" as its going to be :D youve done what you can do to strengthen the trans short of a tear down and custom rebuild. so your good there until you really need to do a built trans... meaning when it either breaks or you see it begin to slip under heavy load.

oh and obviously you will need some adjustments made to your tune for the TC; and of course for the cam/injectors before its really even drive-able :thumbs:

not with that cam he isnt spinning anything near that :lol: not to mention a shift point a few hundred less RPM than that would kill that poor stock 65e :banghead:

i am guessing Hi-Ram bc it makes nice torque with a cam like that, plus lets not beat around the bush- it looks cool :cool::lol:

heres a members truck we just finished: granted its boosted but... still made a good power increase over stock truck manifold

null_zps39753cec.jpg

Edited by kelleyperformance (see edit history)

not with that cam he isnt spinning anything near that :lol: not to mention a shift point a few hundred less RPM than that would kill that poor stock 65e :banghead:

i am guessing Hi-Ram bc it makes nice torque with a cam like that, plus lets not beat around the bush- it looks cool :cool::lol:

heres a members truck we just finished: granted its boosted but... still made a good power increase over stock truck manifold

null_zps39753cec.jpg

Oh yeah they look awesome no doubt. But they really shine in the very high RPMs from what Holley says.

Quote from Holley "• Intended for use on N/A or forced induction engines in the 6.0 to 7.0+ liter range, max power at 7000–8000+RPM." Why not shift the 65e fairly high? My 65e is commanded to shift at 6600 (6650-6690 by the time it actually shifts) with a 224/228 581 588 114.

I just think blnaway would be better off with something like a FAST intake since he doesn't plan on wing dinging the thing to the moon, at least not with that cam, like you stated.

so your putting the cam in along with a holly hi-ram, 90mm TB.... stock heads? stock exhaust manifolds? (if i recall, you had a cat back right?)?? if thats the case, i just dont see 500 hp happening. id say 450 hp (flywheel) is a better high-side estimate, in my professional opinion.

and as far as the converter, you dont really need to "support" it. as long as you keep the ATF cool, which you have already addressed, consider it as "supported" as its going to be :D youve done what you can do to strengthen the trans short of a tear down and custom rebuild. so your good there until you really need to do a built trans... meaning when it either breaks or you see it begin to slip under heavy load.

oh and obviously you will need some adjustments made to your tune for the TC; and of course for the cam/injectors before its really even drive-able :thumbs:

I'm still collecting pieces for my build I guess I wasn't clear in my OP, this converter won't be installed till the cam is in, the only thing I'm not 100% on doing right away when installing is P&P heads, but they will obviously have valve train upgrade to accommodate the hi lift, it will have LT header, just haven't bought them yet. yes you remember correctly I do have cat back dumper before axle (cats are cut out technically) but thanks John that was what I was the response I was looking for that I have done all that I can with my trans besides having one built, basically in my build I'm gathering all the parts and all guna install at once that way I can save myself some ups charges to FL, so I don't have to send for a tune on just a TC,then 3weeks later send back for LT, and so on for each thing i need, save us both time and money.

Oh yeah they look awesome no doubt. But they really shine in the very high RPMs from what Holley says.

Quote from Holley "• Intended for use on N/A or forced induction engines in the 6.0 to 7.0+ liter range, max power at 7000–8000+RPM." Why not shift the 65e fairly high? My 65e is commanded to shift at 6600 (6650-6690 by the time it actually shifts) with a 224/228 581 588 114.

I just think blnaway would be better off with something like a FAST intake since he doesn't plan on wing dinging the thing to the moon, at least not with that cam, like you stated.

Holly intakes are avg 250-300$ cheaper than a fast,so for that I could have my holly and a good start on payment of some LTs

null_zps39753cec.jpg

Bingo

i think you misunderstood that quote from Holly, CanadianVR. they are saying it 'shines' in higher RPM motors, very high ones such as road race specific built applications. they arent exactly saying "our manifold makes exactly the same power as stock and is kind of useless under 7k+ RPM :lol: ". truth is, the FAST is a decent chunk of change more, and doesnt have anything to show for it on a dyno. i DO prefer the composite material over the metal, yes. does the FAST LSXRT work just as well? yes it does. IMO, the hi-ram is a cheaper, better looking alternative that makes good power.

to say youd want to compare those manifolds BUT L92 kind of defeats the test... any of those manifolds with L92 ports on an L92 head- stock or not- WILL outflow any of those high end setups on a cathedral port head (ie. Hi-Ram on 243 heads will flow LESS than an L92 Truck Manifold with L92/LS3 heads, period). another thing to note- the TBSS intake is simply a cathedral port L76/L92 NNBS truck manifold. they both have roughly the same size runners, and the same throttle openings. BUT like i said, the rectangular port heads flow so much more that any L92 style manifold will be the leader in a comparison. also, the FAST and Hi-Ram are available in L92 port. so if you were to compare a stock L92 truck manifold to an L92 port Holly or FAST, it would loose. thats never been a question. the question is, do you really have the money to spend over $1k on a new manifold and another $500 on a throttle to gain 10-15 WHP...? usually that answer is NO, or people use that money to go with boost and make much more power than that with a little more money. thats why you see so many TBSS and truck L92 manifold swaps.

in my professional opinion, if your going to spend the money for a $1k intake manifold, and do not have any nice heads to run with your large cam... you have skipped a step. you can take that $1k and gain a lot more power and torque across the RPM band with a set of even STOCK L92 heads and a truck L92 manifold, with a 90mm TB. you can have all that, or just a pretty manifold that has big flow capabilities BUT flowing into a head that does NOT share those flow capabilities. if you have the money to do both, more power to you. but in most cases, this is not the case. SO if you havent made your move yet, id look into a set of L92/LS3 cylinder heads and find a NNBS L92 port truck intake. thats your best bet man

oh and as for the trans shift points- CanadianVR, with your setup... your not making any noticeable power increase from say 6200-6300 when i would recommend you shift, until well after 6500 when you say your actually shifting. im guessing you have log files showing this, as simply commanding a shift at say 6600 RPM wont usually yield that RPM like that. the PCM works a little different than most would think when it comes to shift points. people have a common misconception that the higher i can get my vehicle to shift, the "faster" its going to go or the "harder" it will pull, etc. this is almost never true. your engine, and especially your specific setup has a peak torque range, and a peak power range. exceeding this only puts unnecessary stress on many components, especially the trans in this case.

Edited by kelleyperformance (see edit history)