Spark plug gap?

aerosys

Hi guys, about to change the wires and plugs on the 03 SS. Just curious as to what size gap I should be going with. I'm going to go with MSD wires and NGK TR5 V-Power plugs. I have read anywhere from .30 - .60 as for a gap. Which one should I go with and why? What will a smaller gap help where a wider gap fails and vice versa. Thanks in advance guys and sorry if there has been a topic about this already. I searched and searched, but could only find topics of the which plugs and wires to choose, but not really talking about gapping. Again, thanks in advance!

Go with the Tr-55's they are pre-gapped at .050 as compared to the TR-5's at around .039. Check the gap on them anyways. I don't know your mods but a .050-.055 gap on a bolt on motor should be good to go. If you go with iridium plugs do not try to gap them. You can carefully check the gap but don't try to gap them.

I use between 55 to 60. Normally .055 is what I go with. If you have a closer gap, the burn on the plug itself might not be as clean, and can lead to a misfire.

Interesting, when I put the LT's in my truck I put new plugs. I think I put tr6 plugs and went with about .04 gap or so, and I believe I got a misfire code at first. But has gone away.

Interesting, when I put the LT's in my truck I put new plugs. I think I put tr6 plugs and went with about .04 gap or so, and I believe I got a misfire code at first. But has gone away.

You got the misfire from the gap being too close. What will happen is the gap will open up. Even gapped at .055 or whatever the gap will open up eventually. Thats why your supposed to check the plugs every now and then for proper burn and gap.

Your also hurting performance and fuel air mixture in the cylinder which will affect your gas mileage as well as shortening your plugs life.

with a gap of .04 thats basically a closed gap.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)