snap/pop noise don't believe it steering shaft

Hey all! Well I have a new noise in my 05 AWD ss. The noise is coming from the drivers side front wheel area on take off from a dead stop usually under not so much a hard launch but just moderate. It will make a pretty loud snap usually just once and then it won't do it again until I park then drive it again if it doesn't make a the loud snap it almost feels like I can feel something shift under the floorboard. Truck drives straight and true with no issues. Any ideas on were to start would be a great help.

yeah, could it still be the steering shaft if it doesn't make any noise while turning or any other time? I checked everything when I changed shocks not long ago but I will pull it all apart and check again. What about something in the front drivetrain itself axle shafts or maybe something in the transfer case? Hopefully not the later of those things. lol

Edited by new2ss (see edit history)

The Steering shafts are weird as they will make noises on one truck when turning, and on another when you go over bumps. Mine made noise when i went over bumps and when I gassed it. There is also a bushing that could cause noise that works long with the the shaft.

If it were an axle Im sure it would have either broke or made its way out at this point. You would have more than a noise at that point. Highly doubt its the diff. Those normally dont make snapping noises. Those normally make growling or groaning noises. The transfer cause will sound like either marbles or like a chain is dragging. Not popping.

I would go to the nearest Sears Auto center, and have them do a front end evaluation. Its free and they will tell you all that might need to be replaced and where the noise is coming from.

Hey thanks for that advice blown346! I'm no ace mechanic but that all sounds logical to me. That's probably what I will do is take it somewhere and see if they can tell me what the noise is and fix it myself.

The easiesy way to tell if its the shaft is to remove it and hold it upside down. There is one bolt on the shaft under the hood, and the other under the column above the brake pedal. You will have to pull the shaft thru the boot on the inside of the truck and re install the same way. If the shaft falls out on its own, or if you pull on it and it comes out with little force its bad. The shafts should be tight and firm. Just make sure when you pull it out, that you dont spin the steering wheel, if you do you can break the clock spring wires in the column.

FYI. GM parts direct has them for about $65 and any GM dealer will honor the warranty. The dealer wants a rediculous amount for these, so shop around if you find it is loose.