Tuning Software?

Bigtoyz97

Usually people go with whatever their tuner uses. And I've read that people/tuners that have used both prefer the hp tuners as its easier to use, but the Efi has some more tuning options plus it's big in the Duramax world.

I personally had Efi live V2 tunning software but never got into using it, so I sold it off. But would like to buy anther one eventually.

It depends on how much knowledge you have and the time you want to spend on tuning.

I use EFI Live, but a majority of the tuners use HP Tuners. I have a buddy who uses and only used HP and was riding along with me while I was tuning with EFI Live and he was amazed at the difference in the two. He actually liked the features and ease of EFI Live compared to HP.

EFI Live offers a unit called AutoCal and that is a logging device used by your tuner who uses EFI Live. You get a mail order tune, Log the truck with the PIDs needed and email the log to the tuner. He goes through the tune and writes a new tune and emails it back and you do a reflash. Not all tuners with EFI Live do this, but there are some good ones who do. If you are new to tuning I would suggest this or having someone do a live tune since your tuning with boost.

I've tuned my LT1 383 with LT1 Edit myself. I have someone who was able to answer questions when I had them and have learned quite a bit with doing that and just playing with it. I took the belt off the supercharger so I wouldn't have that to deal with and have learned quite a bit that way. Have a little bit more to get it fine tuned in SD mode. Its a pretty slow process when you config your tune then upload it into the ECU then data log go back and redue it since you are not able to live tune it.

But I am by no where's a pro but not a total newbe either. I'd like to take those online courses sometime to just know a little bit more and to see if I am doing things correct. But was told I was doing good.....

I see EFI Live is 800 bucks I think it was but comes with a data logger also. But also see they have no demo :( was really kind of curious about that one. Been awhile since I had looked at HP Tuners but think they have a demo mode in that one. Will have to take a serious look at that one.

It depends on how much knowledge you have and the time you want to spend on tuning.

I use EFI Live, but a majority of the tuners use HP Tuners. I have a buddy who uses and only used HP and was riding along with me while I was tuning with EFI Live and he was amazed at the difference in the two. He actually liked the features and ease of EFI Live compared to HP.

EFI Live offers a unit called AutoCal and that is a logging device used by your tuner who uses EFI Live. You get a mail order tune, Log the truck with the PIDs needed and email the log to the tuner. He goes through the tune and writes a new tune and emails it back and you do a reflash. Not all tuners with EFI Live do this, but there are some good ones who do. If you are new to tuning I would suggest this or having someone do a live tune since your tuning with boost.

You can also get HPTuners pro suite and datalog and upload a new tune emailed by your tuner with hpt as well... I use HPT myself and this is how I receive new tunes from my tuner instead of mailing my PCM out everytime I change something... Having your own cables for data logging is a must IMO for any vehicle making big HP's... Autocal is nice for EFI because it can store multiple tunes on it for different driving conditions (great feature for Desiel rigs) but the process is the same as HPTuners if you have the pro suite... Hptuners can also data log without a laptop through the cable box as it now features a record mode as long as you have your PIDS preset in the box... When it comes down to it... EFI is better for desiels while HPT is better for GM gassers and supports some ford models as well, all my opinion of course...)

you can download the EFI live software for free. What you are paying for is the unit itself. EFI is more money and I feel the support for EFI is a bit less compared to HPT.

I personally use HPT.

Its kinda like the welding world Miller VS Lincoln... both are good some just like to use one over the other.

That is pretty much the same thing that I have come to also. I like the idea of EFI and being able to store muti tunes. But someone mentioned that HPTuners could do the same thing. So I'm thinking that I'm going to go HPTuners route.

But thank you everyone for all your input.