15k modding budget...Any suggestions?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If your looking for good advise sprayed and 2Bfast are 2 of the best to get it from there are a couple of other guys here that I'll take advise from as well because they have done and know what there talking about. As for both they basically tell it like it is and there not being Aholes about it. They are trying to help you. As for Brian 2BFast he has helped me before and actually went out in his garage pulled out the servo in a trans to help be by phone and he didn't know me from Jack. Like I was saying before I'd build a engine for a supercharger and go with an 80 upgrade. All fresh parts to do Exactly what I wanted them to do. 15k can get blown in a hurry.

I'm telling you man get some ported L92s and good boost cam and go Procharger you should make say at least 600hp if the setup is done right on the stock bottom end of course these guys might say you should be making a 1000 on that daily driver setup but if you go Maggie thats up to you but I say you go with a LSXR intake some ported L92s a good boost cam maybe the g6x3 I think thats what its called probably going to spend around 10000 for intake, cam kit, heads, stall, transmission, d1sc procharger and all the other little mods.

Edited by shadowsniper3006
removed lines (see edit history)

Pro charger (D-1), meth injection, valve job (stock heads), LS9 head gaskets, ARP head bolts, springs, push rods, lifters, tbss intake, 90mm throttle body, x-link, 60# injectors, cam (custom grind), fuel pump, trans (80e with shift kit and torque converter) tru-trac rear, girdle cover, and some other odds and ends. Its a tried and true combination and in budget.

Don't waste time on the L92 top end with forced induction with a Pro Charger. For the extra money its not worth it. These heads in stock form will flow with a good valve job with this set up. A good tune by a good tuner is key btw.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

You kiddin me, this is great research right here! And I HAVE decided to do the build myself except for the install of the tranny & driveshafts which is waaaay outta my league. I'm still a little torn between the Pro and Maggie but think I'll go Maggie for three reasons - # 1 More low end torque = less stall = more streetable and my goal is a very streetable ride with lots of power. + I like smoking douchbags in Fords or Hemi's off the line incognito - hence the license plate # 2 Easier to install for a NB like me # 3 Awesome sound!

btw, sweet Camaro setup Johnny!

Pro charger (D-1), meth injection, valve job (stock heads), LS9 head gaskets, ARP head bolts, springs, push rods, lifters, tbss intake, 90mm throttle body, x-link, 60# injectors, cam (custom grind), fuel pump, trans (80e with shift kit and torque converter) tru-trac rear, girdle cover, and some other odds and ends. Its a tried and true combination and in budget. Don't waste time on the L92 top end with forced induction with a Pro Charger. For the extra money its not worth it. These heads in stock form will flow with a good valve job with this set up. A good tune by a good tuner is key btw. Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, I appreciate your opinion very much. This is exactly why I started this discussion - so I can get different opinions, do research and make an informed decision, so thanks again to everyone!

You kiddin me, this is great research right here! And I HAVE decided to do the build myself except for the install of the tranny & driveshafts which is waaaay outta my league. I'm still a little torn between the Pro and Maggie but think I'll go Maggie for three reasons - # 1 More low end torque = less stall = more streetable and my goal is a very streetable ride with lots of power. + I like smoking douchbags in Fords or Hemi's off the line incognito - hence the license plate # 2 Easier to install for a NB like me # 3 Awesome sound!

I can all ready smoke fords and hemi's stock :jester:

Sounds like you have a good game plan now I'd roll with it. You will have no prob off the line with any other truck out there unless they have a crap ton of work like you. I've never been beat off the line with my stall n cam. Like I said earlier a few of these guys you can trust with what they say sinr98 also knows what he's talking about. Some read stuff or hear by word of mouth and think they know it all. Then others have done the work themselves have dyno time and know the results. And everyone has an opinion on mods. GL

Gone for a day and it blew up in here lol. Sprayed, and 2bfast know what they are talking about. Like stated previousely they can be blunt about things, so a thick skin is good lol. The heads on your truck will flow, and even better with a little work. I like the idea of L92s, but in a n/a situation, they can tally up a pretty large bill when swapping to them. Since you are going the boost route, 317s will be good, if you do some research you see guys with 6.0 motors buying 5.3 heads for compression bump when going all motor and you see guys that put the boost to their motors running 317s so the compression doesnt get too high and end up having to run race fuel just to prevent detonation. Remember, you are planning a build based around a streetable truck, and you can definately make a beast running your heads, and for less expense. Not being cheap, just knowing where your focus needs to be with the power source you choose. A valve job, and valvetrain upgrades based on cam and blower will net loads of reliable and streetable hp. The upgrades to your heads, including a cam would probably cost the same amount you are gonna pay for the L92 heads. Try doing like I said and sprayed99 did for you in that earlier post, and list out all the parts you need so you can get a grasp on what costs are incurred on each head choice. A Cam, your heads (with work), a maggie, the 4L80 and parts to mesh it with awd set up, definately upgrading the fuel delivery and if there is anything left over better brakes, and you will be one happy sss owner with a fast, reliable, respectable truck. Start pricing before you do anything, get machine shop quotes, plugging in a tranny isnt bad, watched a guy do it the other day in 20 minutes lol, not sure about driveshafts, and the awd adapter stuff, so budget that in, you can do brakes, and fuel pump. You can do your head install, let machine shop set your springs in, lifters and lifter trays are easy to do since the heads will be off. Milling 317s a little shouldnt hurt with ptv as long as your blower cam isnt outrageous. And as a side note, so long as you got over 2bfast messing with you a little bit, he is a good source on what you are wanting to do. Him and sprayed built a beautiful sss with a LOT of work and money placed under the hood. Sprayed99 is really knowledgable on cams and all things motor and actually builds hotrods for a living, and sinr98 knows a ton about these trucks as well. JC03ss has gotten really involved in his truck as well...the list goes on, just try to have a light heart and you will get everything you need to know, so long as you are willing to do the footwork and spend as much time researching.

Pro charger (D-1), meth injection, valve job (stock heads), LS9 head gaskets, ARP head bolts, springs, push rods, lifters, tbss intake, 90mm throttle body, x-link, 60# injectors, cam (custom grind), fuel pump, trans (80e with shift kit and torque converter) tru-trac rear, girdle cover, and some other odds and ends. Its a tried and true combination and in budget.

Don't waste time on the L92 top end with forced induction with a Pro Charger. For the extra money its not worth it. These heads in stock form will flow with a good valve job with this set up. A good tune by a good tuner is key btw.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Nice setup here!!!! Looks kinda familiar???? I bet this setup is a lot of fun to drive...

OK, so I've been emailing Jake about the 4L80 tranny and he recommends the stage 3 with a billet cover, single disc converter. My question is... how much stall should I go with considering the Maggie's instant torque and me wanting a streetable ride?