Shift Kit and Servo Install

Hey guys I'm fairly new to the ss world and just wanted to share this and maybe get some pointers from some of you experienced modders. So far I have plugs, wires, CAI, and AR longtube headers. In a couple weeks I am going to throw in my depo e-fans, 145amp alternator, transgo hd-2c shift kit, vette servo and overdrive super hold billet servo, aluminum acc. pistons, and to top it off my zippy custom tune :) I have read up A LOT on this, but it will be my first tranny I've ever taken apart so I'm just looking for any pointers you experts may have for me. Thanks guys

Just make sure to have a nice big table to lay things out as you take them out to help keep them in order. And a tranny vice is nice also but not a must.

And there is some aftermarket check balls that are suppose to be better than the stock ones that don't deform and seal better also. Might be a plastic of some kind but you will see them on tranny sites.

I did order the zinc plated hardened separator plate from summit so I hope that'll work good. I"m going to wait on a transmission cooler because I live up here in North Dakota so it's cold as shit here right now and for like another 2 to 3 months. Once I see what my temps are like this spring i'll decide and probably end up getting one. I haven't heard about these aftermarket check balls??

I did order the zinc plated hardened separator plate from summit so I hope that'll work good. I"m going to wait on a transmission cooler because I live up here in North Dakota so it's cold as shit here right now and for like another 2 to 3 months. Once I see what my temps are like this spring i'll decide and probably end up getting one. I haven't heard about these aftermarket check balls??

You can get the cold weather bypass kit for the Trans cooler. The aftermarket plastic balls do seal better. But they wear out. You may as well stick with the metal ones, put them in and forget it.

The plastic ones are the torlan check balls. Just keep the steel ones.

As for the cooler, you can get a bypass to help with coolant temp in the colder months. I would suggest this.

Last, check out the How-To section. I made a How-To section on installing a shift kit. You are installing a different kit but you might pick up some different tips in there.

Ok i'll keep the steel ones. Thanks for the info guys. I didn't know about the bypass on the tranny cooler i'll have to look more into this and definitely do it. I did read your How-To 2bfast. There is a lot of helpful information in there. I haven't taken apart a tranny before, but I think from what I've read I know what i'm in for. I set aside January 13th-16th to get all the work done. I just hope everything goes well.

I had read about the check balls after I had did my trans am rebuild. Had heard they were good improvement but didn't know that they wore out. I wouldn't have brought them up otherwise........sorry.

Good to know cause I was thinking of replacing them on my trans am 4L60 this winter when I did the billet servo upgrade I've had laying around for years.

Anybody out there that has a transgo hd2 shift kit with a mail order zippy tune? I'm asking because this is what I will have and I am on the fence whether to put 1 washer or no washers in the 2nd accumulator. I want a firm shift under normal throttle and hard shift under WOT. What does anybody else recommend, 1 or none? Shift kit and zippy custom tune is going in tomorrow night/Friday. :chevy::driving:

I'm running a zippy tune with the HD2 kit. The second accumulator piston washer mod only affects part throttle shifting. If you want a firm wot shift a corvette 2nd and billet 4th servos are what you'll want to do it properly. Do not put any washers, you'll notice the spring that comes with the HD2 kit is much beefier on its own than the stock spring. This is enough to provide a firm shift. If you add the washer (even just 1) it'll slam shift under part throttle. It doesn't sound very nice in a parking lot when it shifts hard at %15-20 throttle... CLANK* goes the gears in the diffs.... Ask me how I know.

You should be fine in park. You'll be pulling the valve that controls what gear you're in anyway. Also, the HD2 instructions will tell you to grind a part of that valve off to do the "quick release reverse" DO that. You'll notice that as soon and you go from R to D there's no waiting around. It'll slip into D much more quickly and smoothly.