The Calm Before the Storm - '04 SSS build

rcapone

SO, I got my baby home Saturday afternoon and got her all cleaned up today. Some of you may be wondering how she drives compared to the 60... well I must admit I'm a little disappointed off the line. One of the things I loved most about it was how quick it was out of the hole...would smoke just about everyone with the few mods I have on it. The good side is it's waaay faster on the top end...it's actually quite impressive. the second to third shift is pretty F***ing awesome...just keeps gaining power - the 60 would fall flat on it's face after 3rd gear. I'm just hoping the blower will make up for it! I think I should probably stock up on some DEPENDS after I get that Jackshaft installed!! I'm happy to soil myself daily with power like that! :huh:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The loss in performance on the low end is the nature of the beast. Its a heavier transmission therefore your going to have some parasitic loss. We talked about this. When you get the blower and get the benifits of the low end torque a roots blower produces you wont even know you had a loss on the low end. This is why an 80E isnt recommended for light modded N/A trucks.

The loss in performance on the low end is the nature of the beast. Its a heavier transmission therefore your going to have some parasitic loss. We talked about this. When you get the blower and get the benifits of the low end torque a roots blower produces you wont even know you had a loss on the low end. This is why an 80E isnt recommended for light modded N/A trucks.

This.

I never noticed the slow take off after I swapped to an 80 because I was already boosted. So when guys would ask how I liked the 80 down low I didnt have any issues. Because the boost made up for it.

But boy did I notice how much of a terd the 80 is in my bone stock 2500HD, Feels like it couldnt get out of its on way. but once your moving and lay the hammer down it moves good for a big truck.

But with boost and a TC it will really wake that 80 up. I was leaving the line around 12lbs of boost and sometimes it was a handful lol. AWD FTW!!!

Is the 80E geared differently then the 60E? Or is it all weight problems?

Yes it is geared different. they are a terd out of the hole. But the first gear is a beast when pulling. it gets heavy loads moving good if your pulling a heavy load. remember these transmissions were in 2500HD good tow rigs. not so great race rigs Lol. there is a few things that will help. One of my buddys hated the take off of his 80 in his 1/2 truck so he went with a different rear end gear to help. 2WD of course.

Is the 80E have lower gears on top end? Does it help with MPG? How would it be with that swap and say 4:38's?

Im not 100% sure what the gear ratio is. as for MPG my 2500hd got really bad fuel milage but it also had 33" tires and 4:10 gears out back. 4:38 would not be good for fuel milage I would assume. you would be pretty high on RPMs just cruising around,

I'd like to have it for pulling. That'd be nice from the sounds of it

yeah with a 4:38 gears it would probably get going pretty good. you would have tons of lowend pulling power. but if you were at highway speeds it would eat up some fuel. I took my 2500hd on the high with the 33" tires and 4:10 gears and it only got 9.6 MPG dry only had a atv in the bed. but I was going 80mph.

That pretty low. I just drove from Utah to black foot Idaho with about 700 pounds of stuff at speeds from 90-95(running late)and got 14.8. And yes I did check it twice. Because I was shocked

wow yeah I would have kept my truck if it was that good, I couldnt do 9mpg everyday.

A buddy and I was talking about this too. I would've thought he got better because he has a 05 with e fans and I have a 03 with out and he's around 15s all the time

Nice job Newb, taking a dump in this guys build thread. Go ask your questions in the proper subforum.

Randy, Good job man. Cant wait to get that blower on and beat the piss out of it!

Edited by Sprayed99 (see edit history)

Nice job Newb, taking a dump in this guys build thread. Go ask your questions in the proper subforum.

Randy, Good job man. Cant wait to get that blower on and beat the piss out of it!

lmao :crackup:

Thanks Dan...you and me both! gotta get PAID first!

Edited by L8ERBRO (see edit history)

Yeah, I remember. Just didn't think it would be so bad.