Brake upgrade for front and rear for 03 SSS?

porksoda

So after tons of searching and reading, I think I understand what a lot of people are doing on the cheap. I do not want to spend thousands on a big brake kit so I have decided to go with the Tahoe upgrade in the front since I need pads and rotors anyway. Is anyone doing anything on the rear for an upgrade? From my reading I believe the rear is already a 13" rotor and I am not sure if the caliper is a single or dual piston? I plan on doing matching rotors and pads on the rear for application unless there is a cheap upgrade there also? Then later down the road I want to throw the hydroboost on. By doing some quick math it looks like I could have a hell of a braking system for around $500. That is unless there is anything better out there that I am missing. Any info or opinions would be awesome.

The rear brakes are factory dual piston and 13" which is an upgrade from the regular silverados. Most people just stick with the factory SS rear brakes and upgrade the fronts to 13" like in my thread below. You are exactly right you can build a very nice brake system for about $500 with a hydroboost setup and the front upgrade.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/77193-13-front-brake-upgrade/

14 inch rotor up front, 2006 calilpers.

look up brakemotive for nicely priced rotors.

I got all 4 calilper replacments.. NEW powdercoated red off ebay for 300 in all, my rotors were 209 plus delivery for all so yeah, around $500 you can upgrade it nicely.

add another 130 for stainless brake lines..

ok.. be careful what you buy.. check to see if it came off a 2500 truck, or an express van.

why? because the hardline that goes to the top drivers side of the hydroboost unit itself is DIFFERENT between these two.. I went through this .. so trust me.

also.. I HIGHLY suggest you pay the extra money and get a hydroboost power steering pump from the dealer.. the autozone pumps are JUNK.. mine failed in LITERALLY 10 feet. don't buy them!

I , personally, don't like "T"ing into the line. id rather have the proper pump. but be warned.. the hydro pump doesn't have the bracket that mounts it to the block.. makes putting the Alternator bracket on a PITA if you ever were to have it totally off.

14 inch rotor up front, 2006 calilpers.

look up brakemotive for nicely priced rotors.

I got all 4 calilper replacments.. NEW powdercoated red off ebay for 300 in all, my rotors were 209 plus delivery for all so yeah, around $500 you can upgrade it nicely.

add another 130 for stainless brake lines..

Curious what you used to run 14" rotors with factory 06' calipers......?

So for my own reference just to clear it all up. Correct me if I am wrong or feel free to add any vehicles I am missing.

Rears-leave alone besides new pads and rotors to match whatever I put on the front

Front-Any caliper, bracket, pad, and rotor combo from an 07+ GM truck or SUV

Hydroboost and pedal-Any GM 2500 or 3500 truck, HD truck, or full size SUV

Edited by porksoda (see edit history)