Need some advice on wheel fitment (Warning: Offset question inside)

thwingster

I found a set of 22 x 9 wheels I like. They come in +20 and +40 offsets. I'm planning on wrapping them in Nitto 285/45r22 420s. After looking through 6 pages of search results, countless threads on offset, rubbing, drops, etc, and using a couple different tire/wheel calculators out on the web I feel better educated on the subject but I don't know if I'm any less confused. :confused:

Right now the suspension and brakes on the truck are completely stock, but I do want to leave room to do the Tahoe 13" rotor/brake upgrade as well as a potential 3/4 drop.

Part of my confusion is I don't know the specs of the stock wheel for sure. In the search results there are many different offsets quoted for the stock wheel (the most popular seems to be +22). If it is +22 maybe we can get that stickied for future reference?

I'm also confused about how dropping the truck will affect wheel clearance. Would a lowered truck need a greater or lesser offset than one at stock height?

TIA for your help.

Anyone have any insight on this? I'm leaning towards the +40 offset. When I use the tool found here: http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp It says the +20 will be clear of any brake/suspension components compared the stock tire/wheel combo, but will stick out from the fenders .1" while the +40 will be .7" closer to brake/suspension components but tuck better into the fender than stock setup. I poked around the truck today and with the wheels at full lock .7" doesn't look like it should be an issue.

• 3 weeks later...