Popping when going in reverse.

Hi, just replaced a chain in my transfer case. Truck has 200,000 miles so it was majorly over due. I put everything back correctly and even double checked my work with videos, pictures, and schematics. Ever since I put the transfer case back in, whenever I go from drive to reverse, I 80% of the time, hear a pop. Now going from drive to reverse, it never EVER happens. Only when going from drive to reverse. The truck drives beautifully and is way more responsive with the new chain. I've driven it about 20 miles since I've put the transfer case back in and nothing questionable has happened other than the popping. I've tried to isolate the noise as best as one person could and it seems to be coming from the transfer case, but more from the part where the front axle hooks up. Now one thing I failed to do was mark the axel with the front differential and transfer case so I'm not sure it was put back EXACTLY how it was, but I didn't think that would cause an issue. Also, I did not re grease the splines of where the axles go into the transfer case. Again, I didn't think it would cause an issue just leaving the grease that was in there, in there. Maybe the majority on it was rubbed off? I'm not sure, but before I go tearing into the transfer case again which is something I really want to avoid, I figured I would post it here to see if anyone had any insight that would solve my problem. Thanks in advance guys!

Is this just one pop as the trans goes into reverse? If so it sounds like it could be the "Chevy driveline clunk" and it might be needing grease added to the splines on the front drive shaft.

If your getting steady popping as the truck is moving in reverse that will likely indicate something else and if it wasn't happening before rebuilding the T-case that would be a good place to look.

You could look closer at the drive shaft part of it by blocking the tires well, having someone hold the brake pedal down, (HARD), and getting your ear closer to the T-case and drive shaft. Then have the person in the truck cycle the gear lever from neutral to rev or drive to rev. If you can get it on a lift it will be easier and safer to run this test and if it is a chassis lift, (Leaves the tires free to rotate), you could put her in gear and listen for internal noises from the T-case.

Only other thing I can think of is checking to make sure everything is secure down there and your not hearing something moving around when you go into reverse.

Good luck and stay safe.

It doesn't happen continuously in reverse. As I put the truck in reverse, the normal clunk sounds and when I give it some gas and start moving is when I hear it so it isn't continuous. If it was, I would surely not have driven it. And as stated, it's only when going in reverse from drive or rarely park. At the moment it is dark and rainy so I won't be able to really test it or grease the splines tonight. I'm really hoping it'll just be something little, but that's just wishful thinking. Thanks for the reply and I'll report back as soon as I get under the truck and take a look around. If anyone else has anything else to add or agrees with what has been said, please say so. I'm still wanting some more feedback to keep me going. Haha, I just really love this truck and want my mind eased.

Because the entire driveline torques over when put in gear. My cross member was loose on the frame but tight on the trans mounts, every time I went from park to reverse I heard a loud pop. It's probably not the cause but it is somthing to check at least.

How could that have such a big affect? Again, I'm not saying you guys are wrong (because I'm sure you aren't) whatsoever because I'm sure you guys know 100 times more about this than I do. I'm just looking to expand my knowledge. =) And today after I get off of work I'm parking the truck back there, jacking it up and I'm gonna' see what's going on with this thing.

P.S. Thank you guys for all the help so far! It means a lot!

Edited by aerosys (see edit history)

Okay, so I got underneath the truck and isolated the click even more. The video isn't great by any means, but it gives more visual to what is going on. Before going underneath the truck, I put the truck in drive and got under the truck and torqued the front drive shaft the opposite way using my hand to "simulate" the truck shifting into reverse. Here's what I got. Thanks again for all the help guys. Means a lot and I have you all to thank for teaching me so much and allowing me to feel confident to get some experience under my belt. Also, I'll add that while in the video the clicking isn't that loud, whenever I shift to reverse, it's the same noise, just louder due to the higher torque that can't be accomplished by just my hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jijh8W5595A

Good job on the video Cam. The initial click sounds different than the next several clicks, (after that first single click). The other clicks do sound like the drive line clunk that several of us have mentioned. If you have access to a mechanics stethoscope you can move it around to several spots and come closer to the source of the noise. If you don't have a stethoscope you can use a long extension wrapping your hand around one end and pressing it against your ear and then move the other end around to different spots. If you can get a friend to rotate the shaft back and forth.

I think that you will have an easier time chasing the noise down if you can get a bud to help you create the noise.

I don't think that your rotating the shaft could create enough energy to cause a noise from a loose cross member.

Is that a weld repair on the tail end of the transmission at 50 seconds into the video?

Thanks for the reply and the other initial clicks are just me rotating it back and forth showing that I could not reenact the initial click that was first made, so those other clicks are of no concern. It's as if whenever I make that first "click" it locks into place and cannot be made again. And no, it's silicone, but good eye. :happy: