Down fire question.

joeyg

Does firing the subs into the carpet have any ill-effect on sound quality?

I got my SSS back; I retained all of the items I removed for the sale. So b4 I secure the box under the seat I'm wondering if I should put down a piece of 1/4" luan (thin sub-floor wood), plexiglass or just put the thing in and don't worry about it. If it'll help distribute sound better is what I am trying to find out, but if I'm way off please let me know.

Thanks.

Edited by finallyss (see edit history)

Most that are doing a down fire box are not running huge drivers so the bass you are looking for works out fine that way. It does have some small ill effects on the sound but I wouldn't worry about it at all. Could always try it and see. If the box is sealed then before going through the trouble of doing a subfloor and what not, I would swap to a ported box. It would definitely help if you were looking for a little more thump.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

I got a forward facing sub box with two 10 inch l7s. I pulled it out the other day and ported it and it sounds so much better. A lot more bass. Down fire I think would cause to much rattle in the cab. I've never had one so I don't really know.

Edited by coal miner (see edit history)

I got a forward facing sub box with two 10 inch l7s. I pulled it out the other day and ported it and it sounds so much better. A lot more bass. Down fire I think would cause to much rattle in the cab. I've never had one so I don't really know.

I have to agree, I have a downfire box in mine and hated it facing down. The sound is muffled, once you flip it so the sub is facing up you can tell a huge difference. Plus My sub hit the carpet on the floor. The bass rattled every piece of metal in the truck. Flipped it up right, no more rattle and better sound quality.

Ok, I'll have to try and port the box. Come to think of it, when I got these subs they were in this huge ported box made by kicker, they sounded sooo much better in that box than they do in this sealed one. Even with it firing down, it doesn't rattle at all. Thanks for the input.

I'll research how big of a port to do, how deep the tube needs to go into the box. I don't remember, but I think each sub is in its own box and just connected to sit below the seat.

I guess I could just use a hole saw and drill a hole on each side(?), Idunno Then what size...etc

Where did you get the face forwarding one? I have a down fire. I like it but want a little more thump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't remember but I'll see if I can find that site. They make them in 12in to. These are about the biggest ports you can put in the box. http://www.parts-express.com/precision-port-dimpled-4-flared-port-tube-kit--268-353 . Here's the box http://caraudiofactory.com/992006-chevy-solobaric-front-firing-p-384.html?osCsid=01a1cd5468389f8a94a7a988d950ca76 .

They have a pre ported box to. But the ports are to small. Really the l7s call for two ports this size per sub. But I was only able to fit one per sub. They hit twice as hard. If your planing on porting your box let me know and I'll post some pics of mine. That way you will know where to put them.

You can do the down firing ones and just make sure the ports are facing forward and unrestricted......And for the ports for those sub's I would goto the manufactures website and see what they recommend for a ported box and the size of the box. Sealed boxes tend to be smaller and create a tighter bass. And take more power to power them. Ported boxes are generally bigger......twice the size of sealed from my experience. And are a boomer sound to them and are louder.

If the box is prebuilt for certain set of 10's and you make the hole to fit 12's it might not be big enough for the 12's. And also depends at what Hz you want to run them at also. There should be info on the manufactures website for that also.

I don't remember precisely but the bass waves are like 5/6 feet long. That is why it doesn't matter if the subs are facing down or forward. In my system I have two firing forward in to the passenger cabin and two firing backwards. Its all pressure and doesn't matter which way it is facing. As long as you are dyno matting to keep things from vibrating and loosing that energy and keeping it in the car/truck.

You can do the down firing ones and just make sure the ports are facing forward and unrestricted......And for the ports for those sub's I would goto the manufactures website and see what they recommend for a ported box and the size of the box. Sealed boxes tend to be smaller and create a tighter bass. And take more power to power them. Ported boxes are generally bigger......twice the size of sealed from my experience. And are a boomer sound to them and are louder.

If the box is prebuilt for certain set of 10's and you make the hole to fit 12's it might not be big enough for the 12's. And also depends at what Hz you want to run them at also. There should be info on the manufactures website for that also.

I don't remember precisely but the bass waves are like 5/6 feet long. That is why it doesn't matter if the subs are facing down or forward. In my system I have two firing forward in to the passenger cabin and two firing backwards. Its all pressure and doesn't matter which way it is facing. As long as you are dyno matting to keep things from vibrating and loosing that energy and keeping it in the car/truck.

:withstupid: I only have two (underpowered by a 900W Rockford Fosgate) 10" Kicker Comps subs downfiring underneath my rear bench seat and they sound awesome for only getting half the RMS they can handle... The box was unported when I initially installed it and it sounded good but then I ported it and it was much better IMO... I don't need much bass anymore just a good sounding system, and this setup pounds hard if I crank it up...