Rear hub

smalltownguy

Anyone here replaced their rear hubs? I can't find any rear hub assembly after lots of searching, is it the same as the front?

Short back story, I have some noise coming from the rear and I thought it was the brakes but after changing rotors/pads/calibers it still persist and I plan on changing the hub/bearings in the rear since one of the studs is broken off anyway. Any guidance on this would be much appreciated!

Edited by smalltownguy (see edit history)

If im understanding correctly all you need is the axle half shaft as the hub/studs is connected to it. Requires you having to open up the diff and disconnecting the rataining clip and pulling out the shaft. Reverse for install.

In its simplest form anyway.

Yeah my piss poor wording was probably confusing. I think I have two different issues, one being there is no real issue and I just want the broken stud that doesnt seem to cause any problem fixed for mostly cosmetic sake and two the light grinding sounds and a slight squeak as I roll down the road. I think I'll finally mount my big brake kit and see if it was the brakes makes the noise and leave the stud as is. Thanks, I know this was confusing.

Yeah one is broken off, pissed me off pretty bad... Discount tire broke it off when I was getting new tires and they couldn't get the wheel off because they said they lug was just spinning. I was furious but couldn't do anything about it and painfully let it go. Anyways it doesnt seem to effect anything but I do want to get it fixed. Mean while, I thought wheel bearings may have been going out after I started searching for reasons why I have a noise while the truck is rolling and got mixed up between front hubs and rear and spaced out for a minute believing I could change the rear similar to how I could swap out the front. I'll be driving the SS back across country from Cali to Tennessee when I get home and want to fix the noise before I go in case it is something more serious so hence I'm doing some digging today so I know where to start and hit the ground running when I get home. Maybe it is the front brakes and I'm mistaking it for the rear making the noise or something else brake related... frustrating to say the least but I'll just have to spend all day screwing with it when I get home and figure it out before I take off across the country. Thanks.

It depends on how mechanically inclined you are. It requires removing the rear cover, wheel, caliper, rotor and axle clips, then axles. Then the axle seal, and then bearings. Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Yeah my only worry is having the space to do it, removing the axle clips and axles will be hard in my storage unit since its so skinny/tight