How much should I ask?

Brentd

Ok guys, Rebuilding the 351c that was in the fastback, dropped it off at the machine shop today. It was done about 15 years ago, and never ran, so it needed cleaning and needed to be rehoned. They are going to re-ring it and change the rod bearing and main bearings as well as take the heads down and check all the valves and lap them. They are replacing rockers and fulcrums. Turns out when it was rebuilt, they replaced the oil pump, water cooler, and the cam, lifters, and timing set. They are gonna mic and polish the crank. This is a 351c 4v with closed chambered heads. Want to sell it since this is gonna be a "bastardized" 68 GT fastback (LS powered). Going to sell it with Edelbrock 351 Torker intake manifold, a flexplate, and harmonic balancer. Gonna paint it and throw the beat up longtubes back on it to keep the exhaust ports closed off. It will have all new gaskets and oil pan bolts. This a pretty rare motor, so how much do you think it could bring? I know its a Ford motor, but I am sure someone on here has some insight into the hotrod motor market. It wont have a distributor or carburator, but those are things that people would want to choose themselves. The cam is a comp cam 270h, 224/224, so should make the new owner happy as it makes power from 1k to 7k rpms. Not trying to sell it here, just looking for advice on what to ask for it. Saw one on ebay with 10k miles on a rebuild, same deal, no accessories except for an intake manifold and they are asking 2500 for it. Also have a small block c6 tranny and a world class t5 that could be sold with it.

Yea, the coyote would help resale, but it is stupid expensive to mod (1500-1700$ just for cams) and the motors are still much more expensive, and way more difficult than an LS. And with a little over 400 hp, it is not nearly as appealing as spending the same amount of money on an LS motor fully built with all the goodies. Its gonna be set up pro touring style so the market for the car IF it is ever sold is already small, and ford purists are gonna be pissed the second they see that shock towers are cut out, aftermarket suspension front and rear are welded in, and numerous other things have been done to it. Its value as a mustang will suffer but it should have good value as hot rod/road racer by the time it is all said and done. screw the purists. You know what hot rodding is all about, you build them.

2500$ for that old motor is good, especially considering the motor and transmissions were basically freebies the guy threw in with the car since we just went up there for the rolling chassis. And with 500$ tied up in machine shop stuff, that is a damn decent profit.

Yea, the coyote would help resale, but it is stupid expensive to mod (1500-1700$ just for cams) and the motors are still much more expensive, and way more difficult than an LS. And with a little over 400 hp, it is not nearly as appealing as spending the same amount of money on an LS motor fully built with all the goodies. Its gonna be set up pro touring style so the market for the car IF it is ever sold is already small, and ford purists are gonna be pissed the second they see that shock towers are cut out, aftermarket suspension front and rear are welded in, and numerous other things have been done to it. Its value as a mustang will suffer but it should have good value as hot rod/road racer by the time it is all said and done. screw the purists. You know what hot rodding is all about, you build them.

It isn't just the Ford guys you have to worry about. It is every brand purist out there. Now if it was a 30s or 40s ford you could get away with it. The market will be so slim you will have to give the car away.

The aftermarket suspension is actually attractive to anyone wanting to buy one of those cars. The only folks that wont like it are the die hard "factory resto" guys and even they will appreciate the much better designed suspension, and the attributes it brings to the driver experience of the car.

The other thing you have to consider is people like to buy easy to drive muscle cars. A lot of people don't want a handful of possible problems and you will have them if you plan on making big power not matter the platform.

I have based this thought around you telling me that in the future it would be sold after you guys have fun with it. I would just hate to see you all take it in the shorts just because you put that combo together.

And yes we build them and we see the crazy amounts of money that go into them. Just want you to be fully aware of the waters your floating in before you take a swim.

I gotcha, i really dont think it will end up being sold, I just wanted to make sure that the car would be able to be titled properly in case it ever did need to be sold, but I really dont think it will get sold. I have read a lot of threads where people get flamed for dropping LS motors in stangs, but truth be told, we love the idea of doing it. I know it can be done, it wont be cheap, but it can be done and I think it will be cool as hell once the bugs get worked out. We might just paint the LS ford blue and put a mid rise intake on it, hide the coils and most people would be none the wiser lol. It makes sense to us to use a proven motor with a huge aftermarket, that is readily available and can handle power. Not shooting for making anything more than 5-600 hp with it, likely supercharged to get it there so should be pretty reliable. But honestly, we are a long way away from dropping powertrains into anything and a lot of research will be done beforehand on integrating and wiring the motor and electronics up. And the main thing is we are shooting for ease of driveability, so it wont go anywhere until it cranks, drives, and rides with all the creature comforts of a new car. It will not be cheap though, you couldnt be more right about that lol, but this will take a long time to build, and it can be done in stages. Right now, the concern is on getting the body squared away, it needs some quarters and floor pan work.