Can a truck have two tunes?

NipRing

I'm not overly knowledgable about tunes, yet. But i thought i read that if you don't tow, you could use the tow button for say 1/4 mile runs, ect. What about tuning the truck for the best gas mileage but use the tow button as an alternate tune for when you want to fool around?

I'm asking because i'm driving 100 miles a day on the freeway and I'm getting shit for mileage these days {avg. 11mpg). Truck has fresh oil, plugs, wires, all new O2 sensors, new fuel filter, new drive line fluids, new pcv, and a clean K&N. But my gas mileage sucks. I'm spending $160+ week on 93 octane gas. I set the cruise and try not to floor it (too often :jester: ). Plugged cats maybe? I don't know, but i was thinking maybe better mileage with a tune but i still want the power at the press of a button. I don't want to castrate this bull, just put a jock strap on it, lol!

PCM Calibrators offers a Dual Flash PCM conversion... Had not thought about this till your thread...

I wonder if Zippy or the Other top tuners here have looked at this...

http://www.pcmcalibrators.net/ Go to the bottom of the page !!!

Edited by SSchevySS (see edit history)

My Diablo Sport has that option. Their not to bad on price $300 or so. Bonus they have a 87 octane program in the unit already.

LOL that's pretty awesome! :unsure:

300$ will get you a real tune. Not a crap handheld. On top of that, why would anyone want to put a 87 octane tune in. Go buy a vehicle that doesn't call for 91+ if you want to pump the cheap.

Sent using Tapatalk.

Edited by TampaVmax (see edit history)

The tow/haul mode only allows for a second transmission map. Everything else will be the same engine and other systems wise (A/F ratio and what not will stay the same). The PCM will just read a different set of perimeters for the Trans (1-2 shift WOT rpm, downshifting at part throttle and up shifting at part throttle... Etc... Etc.

Idk for sure but maybe the capability is in the PCM????

Like with the dmax engines you can ran multiple tunes at turn of a switch using Efi live, they have the dsp5 and a dsp2 setting.

Would be cool but idk that a gas engine would benefit as much as a Diesel engine, being that with gas you pretty much would want all out all the time.

The different tunes I could see someone using, are:

Towing tune (as long as converter can take the weight, but most run high stalls).

N/A Race max effort tune which would probably be best on gas from timing.

Nitrous tune, I think a person wanting to run nitrous would benefit best from having multiple tunes at a touch of a button if even possible. Because you'd able to run more timing without the juice and when your gonna run the jug just change the tune setting.

My Diablo Sport has that option. Their not to bad on price $300 or so. Bonus they have a 87 octane program in the unit already.

I don't think you can run 87 on our trucks with the raised compression. Seems like you might get some knock form 87.

I don't think you can run 87 on our trucks with the raised compression. Seems like you might get some knock form 87.

You will almost certainly see knock, I wouldn't recommend it. I ran 87 through mine for a tank and experienced much worse fuel economy then when I ran 91.

I run multiple tunes with my EFI live V2. If you have any plans for the truck ie. headers, blower, cam, stall.... I would make the investment and buy a V2 or AutoCal and get one of the tuners on the site to tune for you.

LOL that's pretty awesome! :unsure:

300$ will get you a real tune. Not a crap handheld. On top of that, why would anyone want to put a 87 octane tune in. Go buy a vehicle that doesn't call for 91+ if you want to pump the cheap.

Sent using Tapatalk.

This. If you run 87 you will be doing an engine next. Says right on the gas cap.

The tow/haul mode only allows for a second transmission map. Everything else will be the same engine and other systems wise (A/F ratio and what not will stay the same). The PCM will just read a different set of perimeters for the Trans (1-2 shift WOT rpm, downshifting at part throttle and up shifting at part throttle... Etc... Etc.

This is what I was told also

People stop comparing a diesel to a gas engine. They are two completely different animals.

No, on a gas engine there is no need for différent tunes, the best thing to do is to drive sensibly and make sure the truck is running good.

As stated before, t/h only changes transmission parameters. It does nothing for the engine side of things.

The pcm calibrators does use two Rom chips to have two tunes on one pcm. Iirc you need to pull over, flip a switch, and restart the truck for the tune to go into effect. But once again, our truck have pe available and there is no need for that since at cruise and idle, you want to run at 14.7 afr. You can do a pseudo lean cruise, but that isn't very helpfull and hurts other engine components if ran too long in a lean state. Not to mention NOX go sky high.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Edited by chpspecial (see edit history)

the map retards the timing i believe. so it takes care of the knock.

Edited by HighClass SS (see edit history)

My truck doesnt say anything about not using 87. I used it until I got a tune for 93. Stock timing is set for 87. Maybe something changed with the lq9 through its manufacturing era, but like I said my 06 ran perfectly normal on 87 before I got it tuned. And even with the tune if I wanted to throw 87 in it tommorrow I could because the pcm will (like stated above) sense knock due to the lack of octane required to utilize the tunings advanced timing, and retard it to stock timing.