Blown engine

Well, got some bad news.. Engine is no good. Mechanic found metal shavings in the oil as well as coolant, and some engine clunking and very low oil pressure. So that means I may just buy a new engine if it's better than re building. So I'm open to any advice from you veteran SSS builders. Thanks!!

Use the need for a new motor as an excuse to upgrade. :thumbs:

Decide how much you want to spend, and set some power goals. You can rock a forged 370, or 376 with boost, or build a NA 408 or an LS2 427 would be sick. :pimp:

Do lots of research and have fun with the motor build!

• 2 weeks later...

sorry havent been on in a while, but i "was" planning on building and possibly doing research from you SS vet builders on the 408 stroker; that plan has changed due to also blowing my dirtbike head so now having to rebuild that also haha. I got a price of $1600 to get my block cleaned up, cylinders honed and all, and all necessary parts. Whats your guy's thought on porting my stock heads? or should i swap to different heads? and what kind of money is that? Thanks!

Doing the heads is worth it. Price depends on what work you want done to the heads. There are several different levels of say porting and polishing heads, decking, quality of the valves and there sizes, not to mention the cylinder head rocker arms etc. To give you an example, I spent $2,400 on having a set of my heads fully cnc ported and polished, valve job, to the point you couldnt open them up any larger. Got the best stainless valves and all hardware. That $2,400 doesnt include the 2K i bought the heads for. If you go with different aftermarket name brand heads the price will go up...

You need to look at what the motor will be used mainly for...... Around town? gas mileage, power levels, and your complete budget. The best advice I can give you since there are so many options with cylinder heads and what can be done with working them, and the parts out there for them, is to talk to your builder.

Everyone will tell you what they would do, not everyone has your pay checks. Some can afford more, some less. If anything get what you can afford even if its working the factory heads, or just wait and get what you really want down the line.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)