that1dood's slow build

that1dood

So I've had my truck for almost a year now and decided it was finally time to start documenting my 'build'... I haven't made nearly as much progress as I was hoping I would but I guess that's what happens when divorce strikes. Anyways on to the show!

I got the truck with 53k on the clock in bone stock condition.

firstday_zps7708c8c3.jpg

the chrome bed rails and gas door sticker had to go. I never checked the dot on them but I think the tires were OE so those soon got replaced with some sumitomo's. The guy at TK messed up something when trying to match the online price I brought in so I ended up paying a little over $400 bucks for all four tires mounted balanced installed... I ran like a bat outta hell out of that place with a grin from ear to ear. The tires are pretty good. 100x better than the 8 year old rubber they replaced.

stocky_zps2e54cd71.jpg

parts_zps6f29f6ea.jpg

exhauststuff_zps0feaf6e5.jpg

Now onto the fun stuff, ordered and installed a KN composite intake and did a full tune up (plugs, wires, belts, front diff fluid, xfer case fluid) while stockpiling my new exhaust and suspension components. Also didn't like how bad the old pig was at stopping so I did the 13" Tahoe brake conversion up front and did new pads/rotors all the way around. Not sure how much difference the extra inch made since it I did everything at the same time but it stops sooooooo much better now.

Got the headers installed which was actually relatively easy and had a local shop weld everything together. 3 inch collectors down to 2.5 inch pipes, x pipe about a foot or so before the spintech 6331 muffers and turn downs right before the axle. it sounds amazing. Once the weather is better I will get some sound clips on here. Next day after header intall I made the 4 hour trek to Charlotte to get tuned by Justin from BBP. All I have to say is night and day difference! Oh and it was so cold the day I got tuned my speedo decided to start acting up...

flying_zps56196923.jpg

Did a little painting of the front grill to freshen things up a bit a couple months ago and today I finally got around to installing my new ebay headlights. I ran a thin bead of clear silicone to make sure they don't get moisture in them but the quality doesn't seem too bad for 100 bucks and they look way better than my old foggy POS housings...

headlights1_zps54e4a352.jpg

headlights2_zps6edb87c3.jpg

Edited by that1dood (see edit history)

Now the task at hand is to decide to stick with the 05 style hood/grill or switch to the 06 style. Either way I need to buy a new hood for the cowl. Feel free to chime in with opinions everybody.

Suspension is supposed to be going in towards the end of this month as well, I can't wait! I have a thing about being high off the ground... Before I bought the truck I drove a Miata for a year after the GTI got rear ended/totaled by some dick in a ranger...so I am no stranger being low and driving around puckered butthole status at the first signs of potholes. LOL

miata2_zps09eb236b.jpg

miata1_zpsf63ff01d.jpg

nearish future mods are 8.1 injectors, cam (haven't decided yet) tbss/nnbs intake and TB swap and having the poor 65e built up and most likely a 3400-3600 stall thrown in. Long term goals are 408 and front mount single turbo build, but those will probably come after my next deployment to the sand box... Any thoughts, feedback etc is welcome and appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

so I just picked up a complete NNBS intake manifold with injectors, rails, map sensor, TB. Not sure which throttle body came on the 2008 5.3s... Should I just use the one that's already on there or pick up a LS3 TB? seems like there is a pretty good deal on some on ebay right now http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS3-GM-Air-Fuel-Intake-Throttle-Body-NEW-TAKE-OFFs-WITH-COSMETIC-BLEMS-/111282672031?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e8f6d19f&vxp=mtr

For now I plan on using the 36 lb flex fuel injectors with adaptors while I save up for 8.1 Marines, a set of worked over 243 heads, cam, etc... thoughts? Opinions?

Also, anybody have any experience dealing with casper electronics? seems to be the cheapest adaptors I have found. http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/product_info.php?products_id=1606

Edited by that1dood (see edit history)

I have been searching for a deal on a NNBS intake, you mind me asking where you found it? As for Casper Electronics they have pretty good products. I have used some of their stuff on my GN and Typhoon. They use to be real big into the O2 simulators until they were outlawed.

I just use searchcraigslist.org since there are never any for sale local and ask sellers of they are willing to ship. A lot of times you can find them a lot cheaper when they are not being sold as an upgrade part on here or pt.net etc...

Hey Erick,

This is Jason, I'm here at Ft. Bragg and we are trying to get guys together for a weekend to hangout at the track or somewhere to eat. I see your in Charleston, I didnt know there was a Naval Base down there. Anyway get ahold of me or GI.SS/ Steve if you would like to come up to hangout. Nice truck and the sound of the Spintech muffler is awesome.

thanks! I love the way she sounds. cruising isn't loud at all and when you open it up she screams. The ball/socket flanges I got from summit for 6 dollars a piece... way cheaper than buying sets from magnaflow, spintech, etc... The mufflers are part number 6331... I will get under the truck and snap some pics of the exhaust work once the weather gets a litle nicer if anyone is curious as to how everything is put together....