Yahoo article: Muscle Trucks - 6 Quick Pickups ….WTF?!?

NipRing

• 2 weeks later...

No one thinks of the SSS as being a fast truck. That's fine by me though when I blow their doors off, I always get people saying I bet u wish u had a lightning huh? lol then I have to sit there and explain to the dumbass how my truck personally is better than most lightning.

Edited by RickRolled (see edit history)

As much as I do love the Silverado's and the Silverado SS trucks, they wouldn't have had any place on a list like that. The Silverado SS wasn't a true sport truck. In typical fashion from GM they simply built a truck using parts already on the shelf to make an up-level model of what was already available. The 454SS was a C1500 using an parts that were for the most part readily available on other models and all put into one. The S10 Extreme was basicly a truck with all of the looks and handling of a sport truck, but with again no special drivetrain to make it match the look. The Silverado SS was unfortunatly the same way. They simply used front and rear diff's already available on the 5.3L trucks, transmission from the Denali/Escalade trucks, and engine from the Escalade. Other than using an AWD system on a vehicle already too heavy and under-powered to even need it in the first place the only special items on the SSS were appearance items. What they did create however though was the ideal truck for being modified. The differentials are plenty strong for taking the power in AWD form. The 4.10 gear was just enough gear with the rather tall tires used on the "Sport truck" (same height tire as used on the Z71) to work well with mods and still drive well. The 4L65E is a seriously good piece and has proven itself to be so. There was a a time when our top 15 trucks were in the 12's or faster and 11 of them were using the stock trans with shift kit and converter change only. The LQ9 engine was the biggest torque producing engine GM had at the time that wasn't a big block or diesel and with that much weight it needed it. What all of the parts made for was the absolute perfect application for the MP112 Radix Supercharger which honestly is how the Silverado SS should have been built or at least had an option to select for. When the SSS came out there was no better match for a part on a vehicle than the Radix on an SSS. All of that aside however a Silverado that averaged a 15.3 in the quarter isn't likely to make the list for a quick pickup. The regular cab 5.3 truck in that time frame was actually quicker in the quarter than the Super Sport model of itself. The new body style with the aluminum block 6.0L's and 6.2L's are also capable of 14's completely stock. If GM builds another Silverado SS with any thoughts leaning the way of that Cheyenne truck that they had on display at SEMA it will be the first time since the Syclone that GM built a truck truely with performance as it's number one point.

GM probably won't do it, but it'd be nice if they came out with "sport line cars/trucks" that were supercharged from the factory. Ford does it and makes it easy for the enthusiast to mod and go fast. Or maybe ford just isn't for the people who like to wrench like us Chevy guys lol

I really do hope they make a sport line of the silverado. That Cheyenne would be nice in a RCSB model and 6.2L, but truly like zippy mentioned it'll be something that's already available as an option, maybe not to do single cab but a lot of guys out there having been doing that swap already. I'm sure the fiberglass won't make production but give us a big brake kit atleast lol, and if any GM people are watching throw a supercharger on that 6.2L and make all the GM fans happy :)

I'd put my pennies away for that one quick.

I think one that we always forget is the factory V8 Canyon/Colorado's. With some quick bolt ons I file that under ' do not F with'. I had a crew cab put me in my place on the highway when I first got my truck

I think one that we always forget is the factory V8 Canyon/Colorado's. With some quick bolt ons I file that under ' do not F with'. I had a crew cab put me in my place on the highway when I first got my truck

Never really thought of those trucks, was it the 5.3 that was available? RWD?

That is a sleeper being a lil truck lol

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2009-chevrolet-colorado-v8-instrumented-test

I feel like you could make an ext cab with the ZQ8 suspension a high 13 truck pretty easy. I'm actually surprised it only quarters around the 15 mark. I was expecting a mid 14.