SS with SnugTop Xtra Vision

dcairns

This was a quick hack from a low res pic from SnugTop, but if you squint a bit, you can get the idea. <_< This is the shell I will be putting on my SS. I should probably take another crack at this when I have more time.

SS-Shelled.JPG

This is just my opinion here, but putting a cap on an SS is a disagrace to the nameplate. Same goes for anyone doing the same to a Lightning, 454ss, Ram SS/T, etc...

A regular bed cover, sure, no prob. But with one of those, you may as well put one of those oversize 60-70's style camper tops on it. It'll show that you have no idea what the hell you bought.

I would probably put a camper shell on something like a lifted HD Crew cab with 35 in tires. It would make it look even bigger and badder.

With this thing, I would just do the flat shell that is flush with the top of the bed just like the one on my S-10 SS, but no campershell, but to each his own.

I know dave, you just want a bed back their!!!

"I know dave, you just want a bed back their!!! "

Well, that is one of the uses :lol: (hey, I am married, I have a license for that :P ). That is how I have my '91 S-10 setup and it makes a nice bed for car camping and lets me carry my model airplanes in the back with out worrying about them flying out of an open bed as I scream down the freeway :), I can still fit the load from Home Depot back there, and best of all, when a friend moves, I don't get roped into packing his refrigerator in my shiny new truck :D 'hey, sorry dude, it's just too much work to remove the shell...' :P

-Dave

• 1 month later...

I currently have a '19 S-10 with a shell on it. This configuration meets my needs quite well, so I am going to repeat it for the SS. It works great for hauling my model airplanes, camping and trips to the hardware store. It does weigh more, and offend some sport truck purists (but so does the Ext Cab), but it has to be practical for my everyday use, so some comprimises must be made. In the end I am happy with the look and that is what matters. I will be adding the Whipple (or KB) supercharger, so that will more than make up for the extra weight. I suppose I could take the shell off for a trip to the track, run my best ET and use that time for boasting :)

Sounds good DC. I agree with you.

The practicality of the Silverado SS is what is going to make them sell. I am all for you and your shell...

It will make it a true unsuspecting sleeper. When they see your taillights they wont say much about the shell anyway!

Take care!

Archived