smoothed/shaved intake manifold??

that1dood

so i just got my NNBS intake manifold and it is going to be a few weeks before I have the last few pieces to do the swap... Thinking about cleaning it up a bit while i wait for more parts... any reason i shouldn't shave/smooth (get rid of all the 'webbing') off the top and repaint with some vht? This manifold will never see boost and I don't see any serious risks of degrading structural integrity from taking some of the casting lines and what not off the top... Experts, time to school me please.

link for reference

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1525932-smoothed-truck-intakes.html

I figured as much... It would have been a sad day though to spend hours upon hours cutting and smoothing to find out someone else had done this to find out those ugly lines are there for more than just looks LOL

Funny this has been brought up. I've been testing the waters with porting and shaving both gen lll and gen lV intakes. I just recently leak tested my ported and shaved L92 intake by running it. I haven't filled it in yet with filler or painted it, but when I say shaved, I mean shaved. PVC port, evap and and MAP sensor relocated somewhere discreet along with all the "webbing" removed. There is a great amount of resonation. It sounds like there's a UFO above the truck haha. It's like drone, but insainly loud. But since you aren't porting the intake the supports inside the intake should keep the resonation down. I haven't tested the gen lll yet but I imagine it won't be as bad. Because its a sturdier design when ported.

got any pictures of what you did? I was thinking about moving all the shit from the top to the back as well. did you use a plastic welder or something else? oh and btw, holy smokes cutting all that crap off is a PITA. This morning I got the back half of it done... I think I might wait until tomorrow to tackle the forward portion and begin smoothing everything... still debating whether or not to attempt relocating stuff...

If you're going to relocate it, you'll need to adjust some of the evap plumbing and lengthen the wiring back to the hidden evap purge solenoid. Yes. The webbing takes real patience to get off. I have about 16 hours into my intake. Its my first time doing a gen IV so I'm sure I could do it faster as I do more. But it's slow going to make sure you have no leaks. Yes I plastic welded everything. You have a PM.

i think i am going to leave the evap lines where they are. The map sensor is getting moved more towards the rear pretty close to where it sits on the old manifold and I'm pretty sure i am going to plumb the PCV fitting on the back near the fitting for the brake booster... so far its coming along pretty nicely i think. i will try to post a couple pics of mine after work today