Circle D Stall way too high

There are a large number of fast trucks out there with 65E's in them when they have the right builder and right tuner. Both go hand in hand. He went to the 80E from what I have gathered not from knowledge of either trans or even because he broke his 65E, but because alot of people told him it was the way to go. Mostly people who have no clue what they are even talking about in the first place let alone any that have knowledge in transmissions. This site has grown into a site of people answering posts with the same answer that they read somewhere else or something they heard from somewhere with none of their own knowledge to back it up. My point to him is that over and over and over he has assumed there is something wrong with the transmission or the converter. This isn't a one time thing. If you have a problem with the trans, you will know it without a doubt. It will either not shift at all or badly slip all the time. If you have a problem with the converter you will know it because it will either never lock, never unlock, or come apart and send the trans temps to the moon. Whether or not you have a blower on the truck doesn't change the point. You chose an 80E and although you have little knowledge of it you are still dealing with an automatic transmission. When there is a problem with them you will know without question.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a large number of fast trucks out there with 65E's in them when they have the right builder and right tuner. Both go hand in hand. He went to the 80E from what I have gathered not from knowledge of either trans or even because he broke his 65E, but because alot of people told him it was the way to go. Mostly people who have no clue what they are even talking about in the first place let alone any that have knowledge in transmissions. This site has grown into a site of people answering posts with the same answer that they read somewhere else or something they heard from somewhere with none of their own knowledge to back it up. My point to him is that over and over and over he has assumed there is something wrong with the transmission or the converter. This isn't a one time thing. If you have a problem with the trans, you will know it without a doubt. It will either not shift at all or badly slip all the time. If you have a problem with the converter you will know it because it will either never lock, never unlock, or come apart and send the trans temps to the moon. Whether or not you have a blower on the truck doesn't change the point. You chose an 80E and although you have little knowledge of it you are still dealing with an automatic transmission. When there is a problem with them you will know without question.

EDIT* PM Sent

Edited by Retired99 (see edit history)

This makes me feel much better and is a huge weight off my shoulders! And yes, I have absolutely no knowledge about transmissions - I did do some research before deciding to go with the 80e + there are horror stories all over this forum with the 60's which made my decision to go with the 80 much easier. I'm still glad I did go with the 80 too

Thanks Mike! I appreciate the know nothing comment!

He asked for a reliable transmission. 60s are far from reliable. In fact the many fast trucks with 60s are really just a few ahead of thousands and thousands of broken ones. When we originally talked about his swap his direction was to make north of 750hp. I can't think of more than 5 or 6 60s that have been near that number and been "reliable"

And the several people that told him to do this have very first hand knowledge of several builders transmissions. I'm not talking about myself here.

I'm happy and thankful for the 80e suggestion and I know I was listening to knowledgeable people including Danny and Brian. My main concern is reliability that can handle the power and my main issue has been not having ANY first hand knowledge of a multi disk converter OR the 80e...I didn't know what either were supposed to feel like and this is what threw me the curveball because I was trying to compare it to the built 60 that I took out - which was probably the best shifting/feeling/accelerating transmission I personally have ever encountered. At the end of the day, this is going to be a daily driver in the summer months with some fun at the track from time to time. I think the 80e fits the bill perfectly, so thanks again to Mike, Brian, Danny and everyone else who's been helping me out

I think you will be happy with the 80E eventually. Trust me that you will know when it is slipping. The 80E is supposed to ease your mind in the transmission and this one has made you more nervous than a teenager with a pregnancy test. Just calm down and know that you have a good converter and well built transmission. Other than the converter stalling a bit higher than desired you should be fine. It is a trans made to handle big power so it will be agressive with the shifts and lockup's as well as not instant to respond to demand. As your power goes up there are a few other issue's that may arise, but none that will be a reliability issue. The shame of it is that as I said this swap is supposed to ease your mind and that is part of the reason that I would have recommended a heavily built 65E. There are plenty of horror stories on here and plenty of people using the wrong builders, wrong parts, and wrong tuners. For quite a while we had a member on here who became the transmission guru to many people and with a 14 second SSS had went through 7 transmissions. The point there is because someone has built one or two or know's a bit about the parts in them doesn't make them the person to go to for knowledge. Even the guy who built the converter couldn't identify that your jerking and constant unlock/lock issue at around 45 mph was because of how you drove in the log. Knowing how to read the log should have made that obvious. A minor change to the tune made it easier to match your driving style, but there was nothing wrong with the tune or the converter. Like many things when it comes to something like this the trans tuning needs to be tailored to how you want your truck to drive and I'm happy to help with that. All of that aside enjoy what you bought and take ease of the swap meant to ease your mind.

• 1 month later...

As some of you may know, I got the Maggie installed and zippy has it dialed in pretty good right now, so today I made a 0 - 100 log and the converter looks to be stalling around 3500 now! Can anyone tell me what the difference would be between, let's say a 2800 stall and where I'm at now? ...would the launch be different/better?

Edited by L8ERBRO (see edit history)