Engine Runs with ignition off

1quicktruck

My son has a 2003 Tahoe and he called me and said he only had 3rd gear and could not kill the engine.When he got to my house I pulled the fuse on the fuel pump to kill the engine and still with the key off ,all the dash lights were still on . He also had a noise in the rear speaker.

Pulled the batt pos cable to reset the computer. Tranny problem cleared but still you could not turn the engine off. You had to pull the fuse to the fuel pump and disconnect the batt or it would drain if you left it attached. Read somewhere on the internet someone had a similar problem and it was related to a brake switch. Somehow all this electronic equipment does strange things.

It turned out that my son's rear amp had a hot wire that was pinched and shorting out. Don't know why it didn't blow a fuse but I had to take it in to have a shop to find the problem and now all is ok. I just thought I would share this info because my first thought was the key tumbler or the switch just below the key inside the steering column.

Edited by 1quicktruck (see edit history)

Yea the first thing that came to my mind was a stereo issue causing it, a buddy of mine has the same issue after installing speakers and what not. Except his turns off after 5 seconds of turning off the ignition

It was an after market amp . I don't know all the details but he must have been having some issues because the box speaker was not in the car and had not been in there for some time.. I really don't know how it was wired but I just don't understand why something like this would cause the ignition to fowl up and other electric systems to go nuts.

Was the stereo system just hooked up recently? Or a alarm added? My buddy had the same issue and it was due to wiring from the aftermarket radio being tapped into the wrong wire under the column.

It had been in the suv for sometime but he was having some trouble with something. I cant remember what. What is funny is I saw a power supply attached to the underhood fuse box and that fuse was pulled so I really don't know how it was fixed.

There's a lot of data wires that run to your radio. They control everything pretty much. One get grounded or something it will do some weird stuff.

I went back to the Chevy dealership and they said if its an electrical problem , the first thing they look for is an after market radio.

Thats normally what causes these issues. One wrong wire hooked up at the wrong source will cause this issue 99% of the time. I had to re install the complete radio and redo all the wiring for it to fix the issue.