From 5.3L to Lq9

zaathur151

Hi everyone just a fan of the SS but many of you helped me answer many of my build questions to swap out my 250k 5.3L in a 2000 ECSB z71 to a mild built lq9. Finally have the engine to start this project

Lq9 6.0L out of a 04 escolade with 135k

lq91.jpg

mods that will be done while its on the engine stand

-Ls7 lifters

-hardened pushrods

-ported ls6 oil pump

-PRC LS6 Ported heads

-PRC singles valve springs rated 650 lift

-xr275hr 112lsa comp cam

-8.1l marine injectors

-Pacesetter long tube headers

-catless y-pipe

-circle D 3k stall

-05 up e fans

Hi everyone just a fan of the SS but many of you helped me answer many of my build questions to swap out my 250k 5.3L in a 2000 ECSB z71 to a mild built lq9. Finally have the engine to start this project

Lq9 6.0L out of a 04 escolade with 135k

lq91.jpg

mods that will be done while its on the engine stand

-Ls7 lifters

-hardened pushrods

-ported ls6 oil pump

-PRC LS6 Ported heads

-PRC singles valve springs rated 650 lift

-xr275hr 112lsa comp cam

-8.1l marine injectors

-Pacesetter long tube headers

-catless y-pipe

-circle D 3k stall

-05 up e fans

Everything on your list looks good except 2 important things.

The LS6 oil pump is not but some casting smoothing that can be done by hand, and a tool steel shim that you can make in 3 minutes. Not really a real cost effective part.

I would strongly suggest you use BTR lifter instead of the LS7. The LS7 lifters have had many many failures lately.

I'd also go a bit higher on your stall unless your dead set on a 3k. Throw a new timing chain on that bad boy if the one u have is worn or sloppy. Sounds like it will be stout.

I'd also go a bit higher on your stall unless your dead set on a 3k. Throw a new timing chain on that bad boy if the one u have is worn or sloppy. Sounds like it will be stout.

not dead set just what i figured would be a good combo are you referring a 3200 stall instead? and the plan is to replace chain forgot to list that

I'd say a 3200 would be a bit better. If I'm not mistaken that cam makes power from like 2k up to 66 6800rpms. A 3400may be even better. I'm sure your gonna like it. I chose a 3k with my setup for better drive ability kinda wish I had a 3400 now

finally had one day of no rain to wash it its a work in progress, its a 2000 1500 z71 LT ECSB with 5.3l 250k motor runs strong with 60psi oil pressure the original transmission went out about 6k ago I have now a replacement stage 1 tranny from cirtified tranmission called the road ripper 1000 suppost to hold up to 150+ more power unsure of the inernals stronger clutch backs different pressures and shift kit from what they told me.

Mods Already Done

-Leveling kit up front

-2in. rear blocks

-16" dick cepek wheels

-305/70/16 33.50" tire

Exterior plans this summer

-new cab corners

-new front valance

-2in. body lift and HD bumper and Grille to match HD hood

-rhino line front and rear bumper and buttom off truck

-remove all moldings and emblems replace with like a vortec max emblem or something

2F5879FA-78D9-4FC5-B0A8-A02139A3334C.jpg

FD397220-2E6C-4F5D-A79C-314AD9994A84.jpg

2D3EF2B6-AA97-4B7A-950B-FC938AA8F4F7.jpg

F4611309-47BE-4877-AF2C-B9D0BFB94AAB.jpg

5D14D867-2AA0-4CF0-9327-94C9C6136D43.jpg

Edited by zaathur151 (see edit history)

Have a question when installing this comp cam what type of oil should I apply on the cam bearings and cam when installing it along with new lifters should I just soak them in 5w-30 and at first start up what would be the best oil to run for the first few 100 miles while cam and lifters are breaking in

wow it's a nice build you got going on there. its been 20 years since I rebuilt a motor but there was some kind of lube that I used when i installed a new bump stick and lifters. it's kind of like a thicker than oil it just helps in the break in. When you can after a while then you change your oil can't remember exactly what the name of it was though.

what part of Missouri are you from

wow it's a nice build you got going on there. its been 20 years since I rebuilt a motor but there was some kind of lube that I used when i installed a new bump stick and lifters. it's kind of like a thicker than oil it just helps in the break in. When you can after a while then you change your oil can't remember exactly what the name of it was though.

what part of Missouri are you from

I used some for cam swaps on a bike a few years ago, it's the same stuff.

I bought it at an auto parts store and it was Lucas brand, I had to ask then for it cuz they didn't stock it on the shelfs. And I believe it's just called engine lube.

I'll check when I get home.