Heavy TLC!

bjohn

So, today I re-finished the grill inserts and bolted the bumper vents correctly in to place.

They were held on with zip ties of all things... lol

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

Next on the list is fixing the bad speedometer stepper motor, and the cracked passengers side mirror glass!

Too bad its a DL3 mirror, and the glass itself is $130 lol.... Ouch.

Inspiring me to fix up my Silverado.... Thank you for that!

My ducts need to be removed and repainted... Have to find a write up on how to remove them.... I assume its simple... Can see in the pic how the black paint is flaking :(

10014740_10151956088051784_6852643207407

Edited by Limited360 (see edit history)

Inspiring me to fix up my Silverado.... Thank you for that!

My ducts need to be removed and repainted... Have to find a write up on how to remove them.... I assume its simple... Can see in the pic how the black paint is flaking :(

Thanks!

Removing the vents is easy.

I assume the OEM configuration uses plastic "darts" to hold them in place in the bumper.

They can be a pain to get out in one piece on flexible (urethane bumper) surfaces, so don't feel bad if you wreck a couple. Any parts store stocks all kinds of them.

How did you prep the ducts for paint?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

They were already black before I had the truck.

The grill on the other hand I used red 3M scotchbrite pads to scuff them and knock off most of the old paint.

Acetone and blue shop towels to clean them.

Krylon Fusion (Satin Black) rattle can for the finish!

Stuff works great!

Undercoated the receiver hitch yesterday! More little stuff...

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

Took it down to as close to bare metal as I could with a wire wheel and a pneumatic grinder.

Ordered up a new mirror glass, and some LED puddle lights/license plate lights.

I wish I had this much time on my hands... keep up the good work. Looks great btw.

Thanks! Just takes a few hours a week.

image-11.jpg

Cats on today! All leaks gone... Mirror might be here Thursday.

Replaced the broken glass today. Took under 5 minutes, real easy DIY!

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

Someone nightshaded the SS emblems. Got all that off!

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

To anyone that uses those 3M heat shrink butt-splices on any exterior portion of a vehicle. STOP. Solder and shrink tube is a good thing.... Water will still migrate into the wiring and make it black after a year or so.

IMG_1161.jpg

Here it is all soldered and loomed like it should be... I have a lot more of this to do.

IMG_1162.jpg

Good to go so far

IMG_1170.jpg

Edited by bjohn (see edit history)

Replaced the blacked out tail lights with some stockers! I was going to get rear ended for sure... Reverse bulbs are plug in LED replacements. (I know the Drivers side isn't on. It was unplugged).

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

Clean truck. Hate to see those blacked out tails leave. They add to the whole red and black theme big time.

I am in the same boat with worry of getting rear ended. Mine look the same. Tempted to get some black back smoked led ones off flea bay.

Sent using Tapatalk.

Clean truck. Hate to see those blacked out tails leave. They add to the whole red and black theme big time.

I am in the same boat with worry of getting rear ended. Mine look the same. Tempted to get some black back smoked led ones off flea bay.

Sent using Tapatalk.

Well, my camaro has 5% tint on the side windows, so I hear ya about having a theme and looking good!

I liked the way they looked, but honest to god they were so dark, you couldn't see brake lights during a sunny day.

I've never actually been worried about thing like that before lmao..