Rust

Boneman

Anyone SS Silverado owners experience rusting of wheel wells, ?

I have black 2003 , low miles, pristine condition

Living in Minnesota has finally taken its toll.

Starting to rust, back wheel well , passenger side.

Have been quoted 3000.00 - 3500.00 to replace entire back panel.

Way expensive and labor intensive

Does anyone make moldings to cover up the rust?

Apparently moldings for plain silverados don't fit because of the bottom skirt.

Any ideas, or just bite the bullet and replace the entire side.

The rust has just begun. But it's rusting from the inside out.

Mine is doing the same exact thing I live in Massachusetts, going to the body guy Monday, don't just cover it up and get t done right the first time, rust spreads like cancer.... And will just keep spreading till you get it fixed

Probably the only thing I don't miss about living in New England anymore. The under carriage on my 03 looks new without a spec of rust. However... my clear coat is looking rough from baking in the sun. Pluses and minuses to everything though I guess.

Yes, very common for this body style, mine too is starting to bubble. Replacing the whole panel is best, it's also cheaper than doing the "weld in place" panels because they're very labor intensive to do correctly. When you buy the whole new panel, rust proof the hell out of it before putting it on.

that quote is high imo, besides are the same just have to remove cladding. like mentioned they make patch panels but the "correct" procedure for fixing it is all new bedside or find a used southern bed. but good beds are hard to come by and you would still have to get it painted..

Edited by skolman91 (see edit history)

Probably the only thing I don't miss about living in New England anymore. The under carriage on my 03 looks new without a spec of rust. However... my clear coat is looking rough from baking in the sun. Pluses and minuses to everything though I guess.

Me too mine is super clean.

If it was my truck I'd replace the box sides w/oem.

For the salt belt {MN, etc...} rust prevention...I've used "Rust Check" products on my 2003 SSS every October since 2004. So far, no rusting from the inside out.

www.rustcheck.com

Edited by TSA (see edit history)

Never had a issue with rust, but then again I always really spend extra attention when washing in those areas. I would suggest you get a wire wheel and go over the area to clean up what you can, then get yourself some rust inhibitor spray and spray that area. It will stop the rust until you can get it fixed. Just make sure you clean the area really well from any oils, dirst before you use the inhibitor.

Yip Upper Mid West helps to take care of it. I have had to drive my 97 Trans Am a few times....wouldn't know it looking at it though. Wash and wax often and make sure to get the dirt out of the usual areas that it collects in the rear.

On my SSS the drivers side above the rear tire is starting to bubble when I bought it so I would imagine I'll be doing the same as you pretty soon. Haven't decided if I'm going to tackle it my self or not yet.

Yeah my bedsides have bubbles starting... Rockers are gone...

Going to get patch panels done in front and hopefully a southern bed, replacement side panels otherwise..

Not fixing bed till it gets a bit worse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so I may sound retarded.

I just have little bubbling myself just above the tire....suppose previous owner didn't take that good of care of it in the winter, guess I better practice up on my metal work. But rest of it is immaculate.

I was raised in a machine shop/ repair so have a lot of experience welding all type of metals. I tackled a 79 trans am that rear quarter and sub frame below the door that was messed up and had to cut it out and replaced it. Actually turned out pretty good. Like to learn how to paint but who knows.

• Just put oem boxsides on mine 3 weeks ago. Right side had a small bubble dime size left looked ok but did both any way. Once off the left would have made it to fall maybe. Glad they are done and can wash it with out worry as to what I may find!

• Just put oem boxsides on mine 3 weeks ago. Right side had a small bubble dime size left looked ok but did both any way. Once off the left would have made it to fall maybe. Glad they are done and can wash it with out worry as to what I may find!

What was your cost on this if you do not mind me asking?

I was quoted $1400 to do rocker patch panels... seems fair enough.

However I have not looked into the bed issues yet.!!!

FWIW I personally wouldn't bother with patch panels. Being from Michigan and owning a body shop there I will tell you the patch panel may last for a while but the metal around it will not.

Just my opinion but if you plan on keeping your truck for a long time save your money and do it right the 1st time which means replace the panels....or of course the 2nd option is live in the Desert where its not a problem. :wink: