Loose steering wheel

Akslowroller

So I was driving around today getting the last few things I needed for Easter dinner tomorrow and noticed when I turned my steering wheel was wobbly. I pulled my airbag and the nut and wheel are tight on the shaft. When I move the wheel the daft wobbles with the wheel. So it's deeper. AKSS another member on the site thinks it's just a bushing. Any one else ever had this issue if so what was the fix. Is Justin(AKss) correct? Let me know thanks.

It can be the intermediate steering shaft bushing and the shaft itself. or both.

That bushing is right below the steering column. If you get under the steering wheel you will see what looks like a plastic ring going around the steering shaft toward the steering wheel, thats the bearing or bushing. I myself if it hasnt been done would be to replace both.

Grab the column and the bearing, and see if you have play there.

Not sure on the exact procedure for the bearing replacement, but I have read on the newer body style Silverados from 07 and up, that the steering column, wheel etc has to come out.

Heres that info.....

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/144650-lower-steering-column-bearing/

Off topic but I recently had my water pump changed like a week ago on my ss and they also said my clutch fan was not working so I told them ok put a new one on. Now when I start my truck the fan seems loud when I take off it get louder, Im not sure if its getting quieter after driving a while as I have not drove it to much recently because I need new wheel hub shocks and valve covers. Anyways is this normal for my fan to sound like a jet engine.

LOL where did this come from? Thought this was a steering thread.

Sent using Tapatalk.

Off topic but I recently had my water pump changed like a week ago on my ss and they also said my clutch fan was not working so I told them ok put a new one on. Now when I start my truck the fan seems loud when I take off it get louder, Im not sure if its getting quieter after driving a while as I have not drove it to much recently because I need new wheel hub shocks and valve covers. Anyways is this normal for my fan to sound like a jet engine.

Welcome to the site Bill. You will get more responses, and help, if you start a new thread for your question. Try posting it in the "general SS" section, or the engine tech and mod section.