HOT TUB issues! Anyone know about hot tubs??

cmoney23

Just bought a house last year! Came with hot tub. Worked fine last year. Last year I drained the water out and took out the filter(shoulda cleaned filter but didn't). Went to start it up this season. After filled up I turned it on and seemed to be working fine. Waited 2 days and it didn't heat up. I pulled out the heating element. Just pulled out the tube that the element sits in and looked and the element looked new. No corrosion at all. So I reconnected it and turned it on. Everything appeared fine that after 10 sec. its shuts off. Jets don't work nothing. On the digital screen to set the temp it shows this " - - - - " Just dashes. So it has power.

If you can find the make and model info, search on the web for trouble codes. My hot tub had --- and I was able to hold down 2 buttons for about 10 seconds and it gave me a code!

Yeah I checked all capacitors and it has 2 big glass fusses. All good. Usually capacitors will bubble at the ends. I repaired a few on my T.V. before. Im starting to think its a relay. Cause it powers up fine and all jets work for the 1st 10 sec. after tripping breaker. Gonna have to break down and call the dam repair man and pay his stupid $75 fee. Atleast he can tell me whats wrong then I can fix it. LOL

I work on hvac units so I'm familiar with strip heat. From the diagram it looks like you have 1 strip heater? In my field 5k of strip heat will pull about 20 amps. I'm assuming you're hot tub is 208-240 volts? You need to know where the voltage is stopping. That diagram doesn't show any controls. It could be a bad switch. It's gonna be a process if elimination. That diagram isn't very helpful so I don't think I'm gonna be much use to you. If it only stays on for a bit I would look at a relay or the switch that brings in the relay.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk