Where are the solenoids?

Are the solenoids all in the pan? Is the "pulse width" solenoid called anything else? I see an electrical connection on the passenger side. What does this go to? Speed sensor?

I've got another thread going about my trans locking/unlocking in 3rd and 4th. I already replaced the torque converter.

Pulse width modulator is in the pan I believe. The connection on the outside should be a vss or the trams main harness. Can't remember now been lookin at the 4l80 too much lol. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on trannys will chime in...

Edited by 1BAD2K (see edit history)

The TCC apply solenoid is the one pushed into the oil pump, it's part of the wiring harness.

657040_zpsa54c8796.png

#396 is the TCC PWM solenoid, that view is from the top of the valve body.

I rebuilt my transmission last year with a kit from Monster Transmission (never again), and installed a 3000rpm Circle D torque converter at the same time. I was having a somewhat similar issue as yours, my truck wasn't going into lockup as soon as the outside ambient temperature was warm. The truck was fine all winter long, but as soon as spring hit, the trans started acting up. As long as the trans fluid was cold, the TCC would apply as normal. As soon as the trans temp hit 130-140deg F, the TCC would not lock on the highway at all. It turns out that Monster Transmission supplied the wrong TCC PWM solenoid.. comparing the incorrect solenoid with the proper OEM solenoid that I installed two weekends ago, the incorrect solenoid had much larger mesh screens/exhausts. Once the trans fluid became warm/hot, the solenoid just couldn't keep the TCC engaged, it was seeing a 300-500rpm slip on the highway and would throw a P0894 if driven for long enough like that. I swapped out the TCC PWM solenoid, the TCC apply solenoid/wiring harness, and the pressure control solenoid just for good measure, my truck has been as good as gold since. Hope that helps!

That helps a lot. Where did you end up getting the correct solenoids from? If I'm gonna drop this VB I'm gonna replace them all for good measure. Do you happen to have the parts list for this diagram to identify the rest of the parts? Or do you have the link so I can go to the website you got it from?

I'm a tech at a GM dealership, so that's where I got the parts. Lol. For all three of the solenoids I replaced, it was right around 250$, I'm not sure how comparable US dealer prices are to Canadian prices! Don't worry about dropping the valve body, the solenoids are all accessible with the valve body still in place.. plus the check balls might fall out if you take the valve body and separator plate! I do have the list for the rest of those solenoids, I have access to GM literature.. I just don't have access to the part numbers. I'll post up what the solenoids are when I'm home in a couple of hours!

367a - 1-2 shift solenoid

367b - 2-3 shift solenoid

377 - pressure control solenoid

394 - 3-2 control solenoid

396 - TCC PWM solenoid

The component number for the TCC apply solenoid/wiring harness (not on that diagram) is 66. All of the solenoids are held in with clips except for the pressure control solenoid and the TCC apply solenoid, they retained with bolts. The clips are very easy to remove, you just need a small flat blade screwdriver to pry them out. Use a bit of caution when removing the solenoids, the valve springs can sometimes pop out.