Looking To Buy My Own SS

SweetpeaSS

I'm interested in buying a SS soon BUT I'd like to know exactly what I'm getting into before I drop the money on the table. My boyfriend has a TBSS and I'm in love but I need a bed on my vehicle if I'm spending that kind of money. Any information on year, power, gas mileage, what I can and can't improve on, etc would greatly help. Just looking for the best and what I can expect. Feel free to message me. Thanks!

-Antonia

Edited by SweetpeaSS (see edit history)

I love my SSS. I have an 06 2wd intimidator. my gas mileage average is 14mpg but i drive 80mph to work and dont put put around town either. i guess it could be worse. mod wise i have a kn cai, msd wires, ngk tr6 plugs, lt pacesetter headers, no cats, magnaflow muffler, and a tune. the guy i bought it from said he ran a 13.9 best after he did all this to it, but i have not had to chance to check for myself. it does have power though. the good thing is there are a lot of trucks out there for sale that already have a lot of these basics done to them, so finding one with a few things already done to it will help. personally i would rather have a 2wd vs an awd. i live in east tx so no need for awd. but from what ive seen, there is a problem with the front diff on the awd. im sure awd owners can tell you better, but i love my 2wd. just my 2cents. cant go wrong with an SS in my opinion. one of the best lookin trucks ever made

I have AWD and i love it. the front diff needs to be rebuilt but really thats the only problem. i avg around 12 mpg but i womp on it every light. they are great trucks overall. GL with your find and buy

I love my SSS. I have an 06 2wd intimidator. my gas mileage average is 14mpg but i drive 80mph to work and dont put put around town either. i guess it could be worse. mod wise i have a kn cai, msd wires, ngk tr6 plugs, lt pacesetter headers, no cats, magnaflow muffler, and a tune. the guy i bought it from said he ran a 13.9 best after he did all this to it, but i have not had to chance to check for myself. it does have power though. the good thing is there are a lot of trucks out there for sale that already have a lot of these basics done to them, so finding one with a few things already done to it will help. personally i would rather have a 2wd vs an awd. i live in east tx so no need for awd. but from what ive seen, there is a problem with the front diff on the awd. im sure awd owners can tell you better, but i love my 2wd. just my 2cents. cant go wrong with an SS in my opinion. one of the best lookin trucks ever made

What would you say the average cost would be on one of these trucks with the 'basics' done to it..?

Edited by SweetpeaSS (see edit history)

18-25k I've seen for an 06. For 03-05 you can buy an AWD. I believe all 06's were RWD only. Cost wise modding can get costly but it really depends on how much work you're willing to do yourself. Off the jump, if it isn't done yet, CAI, LT headers w/CATs back exhaust and tune are absolute. This can all vary depending on minimal rework based on manufacturer. American Racing headers to Corsa sport bolt right up but be prepared to drop 2500 for it. There is tons of info on this sight with a lot of opinions. It's just a matter of finding info that works for your budget and what you want out of your truck. If you plan on beating your BF's TBSS be prepared to spend somewhere in the realm of 10k. Some can do it for less, but if your after an 11sec truck it's gonna cost to do it right.

GL on your search and welcome to the site!

considering your from Michigan you would probably want an AWD one. ive had mine for 7 years and its been through 2 different superchargers, about 100-1501/4 mile passes with a few AWD burnouts and has absolutely not problems except the transmission. i think its understandable to say why the stock transmission went. you would not be getting a fuel efficient car if you get one of these expect an average of 14~ mpg. you can find these trucks for a decent price it just depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. 15k could get you a decent mileage stock or near stock SS.

also... everyone here is talking about mods. you dont HAVE to mod the truck extensively to make it fun/quik.an exhaust and tune will go far for someone just looking for a fun DD. ive gone fast and i can tell you it costs lots of money. i recently put my truck back to near stock for the sheer fun and enjoyment that it lost.

Edited by 8hnpSS (see edit history)

i bought my 06 SSS with 84k miles. Its got 22in ss reps and is lowered 5/7 with all new parts. I paid 17,500 for mine. But i also looked for a few months before i found the right one, and i drove 6 hrs to get it. upgrading parts on a vehicle most of the time does not increase the actual value of the vehicle. people wanting 15k for an 03 ss with 120k miles is ridiculous. I buy my vehicles by going by nada guide. If the truck is clean, I try to pay between clean trade in and clean retail. hopefully closer to trade in. the way i learned from a car dealer is vehicles are supposed to have wheels, supposed to have plugs,wires, etc. Just becasue they put shiny or better parts on doesnt increase the retail of the vehicle. just be patient and you can find the right one for the right price.