Exhaust Manifold/Header bolt extraction

Tyson1972

Ok guys I have a problem I know y'all can help me with. I have had to bolts break off in my heads. One is on the driver side/left head and it's the one way in the back. Second is on the passenger side/right head and it's in the middle of the head. The one on the left side is broke off in the head about a 16th or 8th inch inside. The one on the right side is broke off outside of the head which is about 1/2 inch outside just enough to get a nut on it. My idea for the left side is drill a small hole in the bolt and use a 7/64 inch easy-out to extract it out. My idea for the one on the right is to weld the nut to the bolt and use a wrench to back that one out. What do y'all use for anti-seize? I DO NOT want to have to pull the heads. Is it possible if I can't get them out to leave them in and fix later when I do a cam & head swap? Thanks for the help in advance.

I would advise against drilling into the bolt, I have seen it done and the tech drilled too far.. nice stream of coolant, new cylinder head time. I remove broken manifold bolts quite often at work (GM dealership), nearly all of them are broken off inside the head. Clean up the bolt the best you can, weld a fair sized nub onto the bolt, and then weld a nut onto the nub. Work it back and forth, sometimes it takes a few tries, but it'll come out.

I'm going to have to do that because I used a small 7/64th drill bit drilled and 3/4 inch into the passanger side. Then I used a slightly bigger drill bit and the damn thing broke off in the bolt. Luckly I had already had got a nut on the end of the bolt I just need to weld it up then back it out. The other on is on the drivers side and is about 1/2 inch inside the head. I guess I will have to build up some material to weld a nut onto.