Note: royal purple in rear differential

I had changed out all fluids tranny, front & rear differential , transfer case when I changed out out my rear differential fluid with royal purple I had 3 hrs maybe on the change I had took notice the clutch would slip at times! I went to gm and purchase the 4oz additive not a problem going on 15hrs .... Note I live in pa hills turns bends every where you look! Please take in the area in witch you live before you change out your rear differential with royal purple.

what makes it so bad? I've read a lot of good reviews on it.

I've researched it a lot and talked to a few people with really bad stories. A have a buddy who refuses to put it in any engine he builds. He said if the customer really has to have it someone else can build it. He says it leaves some nasty Molly coating that RP says is great for internals but it's really not great at all. Just that is enough to never use it in my op. Research it online it actually does worse than others in the ball bearing tests. We've been going over this for years on this site. You got guys that run it and say they love it. But so do some old school Quaker State guys lol.

I've watched a bunch of the bearing test and which ever company is doing it there oil comes out on top. I got two buddy's that run late models that use rp and that's why I used it. They told me it was the best. Was there ever any actual test done on engine wear? I runned it in my 2500hd with a lq4 for about 5 years and never had a issue. What other oil is suppose to be better amsoil? I think you can't go wrong picking Mobil 1, royal purple or amsoil. No one around here Carries amsoil for me to try it out.

Edited by coal miner (see edit history)

I think Mobil 1 is better than RP just by reading lots of reviews. I'll never switch from Amsoil I'm sold for life on it. No one here carries it so I became a preferred customer and get it cheaper. Tried it in 07 and have never changed. They change out that RP after every race tho right?

Lots of places have it like they have RP. Like said I order it and in 2 days it's at my house. I also picked up 1mpg when I changed from M1 to Amsoil. Plus I go way longer with cleaner oil than I did with M1.

post-21185-0-54675300-1408195428_thumb.jpg

103k and I was really surprised how clean. No build up no nothing looks like brand new in there.

RP is not on Gm's list of approved lubricants..here is some old news about RP and BP(yea i know)

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001398592.cfm?x=bfmW6PM,b1v6g3vS

come to your own conclusions..but i'll stick with M1

That's always been my opinion of their claims. I normally stick with M1 for the ease of obtaining it.

• 2 weeks later...