STOLEN SS Tailgate - Houston area

CaptKirk

I've had my SS for less than two weeks. It's been in TX (houston) for about 3 days. I'm staying at the La Quinta off Kenswick by the Bush Airport. My tailgate (black) was stolen between 4-7pm on 8/15... mad3.gif

Few questions:

Are there any differences between regular silverado tailgates and SS ones? I cant imagine anybody would rather steal a tailgate instead of just purchasing the SS badging from somewhere..

Does anybody know where I should watch to see if it surfaces for sale? I figured I'd get the word out here and watch craigslist, but anything else?

Anyway I know it's a long shot, but if anybody sees or hears anything please let me know via PM or at [email protected] .. I'm just worried the entire truck will go missing now..

Thanks everyone

Edit: If this is in the wrong section or would do more good elsewhere please let me know

Edited by CaptKirk (see edit history)

Sucks to hear man. I ****ing hate thieves more than anything.... anyways, I am a bit north of you, but I have a black tailgate and upper and lower cladding for it that I don't think I'll be using. Even has a painted handle and bezel. Lmk if interested....Sam.

that sucks! sorry to hear that. I live in Houston tx I will keep a lookout on craigslist for yall! I had someone make a attempt to steal my tail gate but they could get it off bc I installed the jimmi jammer GATE KEEPER.

please invest in anti-theft! these trucks are way to easy to steal! The truck scene is pretty big in TX!

I will be investing in the gate keeper once I do some research and figure out what those are. I figured theres some sort of security bolts that you can use to attach the gate. I never even looked to see how the gate comes off. I imagine it wasn't difficult.

And yes this made me realize. I will buy an aftermarket antitheft system soon for her. Especially considering I have to leave it unlocked at the helipad for two weeks while I'm offshore, due to company policy. Thanks for the tips

Sucks to hear man. I ****ing hate thieves more than anything.... anyways, I am a bit north of you, but I have a black tailgate and upper and lower cladding for it that I don't think I'll be using. Even has a painted handle and bezel. Lmk if interested....Sam.

I'm definitely interested. I'll PM you once I investigate replacing the gate. I'm trying to find a good (secure and safe too...) apartment in the midtown area right now. Once I do I'll have a little more freedom. I'm just in a rush because I need to go offshore soon and would like to have a home before I go. Thanks a million

Exactly, this is where I'm confused. The police said its pretty common though and that theives sell them to small bodyshops and stuff for cheap....

A thief will steel anything that is easy to pick up and get rid of and a tailgate without a lock or locked cover is dead simple and fast to remove. If I had to leave my truck unlocked in an open area for days at a time I would park it in a secure garage and buy a cheap daily driver to use for work.

Sorry this happened to ya...

A simple $1.00 worm-style hose clamp can make all the difference. Just add it to the passenger side trunion/hinge. It will have to then me removed 1st before the tailgate can be lifted off from the truck. :thumbsup:

Time is everything to a PUNK-A$S thief.

Oh, and to answer your question, Chevy/GMC tailgates are ALL the same. Just different nameplates & that top spoiler change out... :huh:

Edited by Bad Bowtie (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this happened to ya...

A simple $1.00 worm-style hose clamp can make all the difference. Just add it to the passenger side trunion/hinge. It will have to then me removed 1st before the tailgate can be lifted off from the truck. :thumbsup:

Time is everything to a PUNK-A$S thief.

Oh, and to answer your question, Chevy/GMC tailgates are ALL the same. Just different nameplates & that top spoiler change out... :huh:

Thanks for the tip, and the info! I will be going all out on theft prevention with an aftermarket system soon. I want gps tracking, the whole 9 yards.

So in followup to this incident, I am researching tonneau covers and ways to lock the bed closed. So far I've found locking tonneau covers, but they may/may not lock the tailgate?

Can someone experienced simplify this a little for me? Do I need to find a tonneau cover that not only has a key-lock, but literally wraps over the top of the tailgate to prevent it from opening? Can I buy a locking tailgate?

Simply put, I want a tonneau cover, I want the bed to be impossible to access without a key (or keys, idc). What are my options?

Thanks everyone. Great forum :thumbsup:

I always backed my truck up to a wall, light pole, or tree whenever I could so even if they got the latch open they couldn't open it enough to take it.

They make locking tailgate latches but you'd need to prep and paint it to look right with the truck.