Highway towing

90zxdriver

I bought a new (used) boat today. It's a 2006 Proline 21 Sport w/ a 150hp Suzuki. I figure with the hull, dual axle aluminum trailer, motor, 3/4 tank of fuel and misc items the boat weighs in around 4,500 lbs which is way below the tow rating for my truck. I had no issues to speak of while driving through the city but I was very surprised once I got up on the highway. I had tow/haul mode on and the truck was really struggling to maintain 65-70mph on interstate. If I had to merge, pass or came upon a hill (Florida, I use the term loosely), I almost had to have the pedal to the floor to maintain speed. Even with the tow/haul mode on, it still feels like the truck was shifting into overdrive. It seemed to constantly be shifting and once it would downshift, it would take a ridiculous amount of time before it would up-shift again. I checked all my fluids before I left and everything was spot on, transmission fluid was a nice, clear pink color and right where it should be. I also noticed when the truck was struggling, the temp gauge would creed up a few tics. Maybe I was expecting too much but I didn't think with a 6.0 litre and 4.10 gears I would be having any issues towing this boat. Everything else about towing was fine (thank you Hydroboost and Z06!).

I'm just curious to see how other owners feel about towing with their SS on the highway. I'm almost wondering if my tranny is on its way out or there is some other problem because I have never felt like the SS had a lack of power. Oh, and I also averaged a whopping 7.1 mpg on the way home :)

I never had a problem towing, that was a 21 foot Crownline, full loads of 4 yards of mulch etc. Obviously with just the mulch in the bed i did have to go slow, but the truck didnt feel that slow, as I had to have the peddle down all the way to go anywhere.

How does the truck sit with the tongue fully weighed down with the boat? Is it level or does the back of the truck sag?

Something Doesn't Seem right. I tow my 4500 lb boat also. We have some steep hills in alaska and I can maintain 65-70 up them With no drama whatsoever. I never drop past 3rd Unless for some reason i wanted to race up the hill. On the flats... overdrive has plenty of grunt. It actually impresses me how well it does in overdrive to be honest... small hills it doesn't even need to downshift.

The only thing I can think of is maybe The heat with you being in florida? 100 + degrees surely wont help The Performance

Actually I think I remember hearing and being told that overdrive gear is good for cruising on flat roads and small hills. But when going up bigger hills it's best to shift out of overdrive and use just the drive gear which I was told is better on the transmission for going up hills. Someone told me using overdrive to pull big hills, you will lose your overdrive gear eventually.

Edited by 2006 Intimidator SS (see edit history)