New to SS and this forum.

RottenSS

I'm buying my first chevy today and it's a 2003 SS. Pretty sure it's stock as far as I can tell from looking all over it and driving it. 1 owner truck with 65k. Trying to get info on what I should do to it. Not trying to dump a ton of cash right away so no supercharger yet haha. Probably CAI for now and exhaust. Maybe a tuner that's pretty simple. Any suggestions?

Thanks. Any suggestions on the best CAI and exhaust? And maybe a mid range mail order tune?

I've seen good things about the volant with the ram air tube and 57 series K&N. Then I don't want crazy load exhaust so maybe Borla from what I've read or magnaflow? Then tuners I have no idea about besides the basic ones you can buy online like superchips and hypertech. Just want the tuner part to not be a hassle.

post-26711-0-03585300-1411556243_thumb.jpg

Edited by RottenSS (see edit history)

For intake, it's dyno proven that just the Airaid tube on the stock box preformed identical to the best cold air intake (which I forget what brand was the top). And its only $100. Borla xr-1 is a fantastic muffler & will prolly be my next if I change. As Per tuners, don't get the canned tune bs, they're junk. Do a custom tune with BlackBear or zippy. Can't go wrong

Welcome from nj and clean truck!

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore

Edited by bassmaster (see edit history)

For intake, it's dyno proven that just the Airaid tube on the stock box preformed identical to the best cold air intake (which I forget what brand was the top). And its only $100. Borla xr-1 is a fantastic muffler & will prolly be my next if I change. As Per tuners, don't get the canned tune bs, they're junk. Do a custom tune with BlackBear or zippy. Can't go wrong

Welcome from nj and clean truck!

Thanks everyone. I'll look into the tube and for that muffler is that actually just the muffler and not a whole kit? And those tunes are probably not a huge deal but they worry me for some reason like something is gonna happen or go wrong haha.

Tune,CAI and Long tubes. Good gains for the money.

Any brand long tubes you recommend and are those a bish to put on?

Thanks. Any suggestions on the best CAI and exhaust? And maybe a mid range mail order tune?

I've seen good things about the volant with the ram air tube and 57 series K&N. Then I don't want crazy load exhaust so maybe Borla from what I've read or magnaflow? Then tuners I have no idea about besides the basic ones you can buy online like superchips and hypertech. Just want the tuner part to not be a hassle.

I would suggest someone who is local to you. Mail order is ok, but you see a lot of bs and horror stories on various sites. It's always best for the tuner to log YOUR truck, see how it behaves, and adjust your tune accordingly. Mail order tuners *can* log your truck, but it requires you to buy additional hardware. Best bet is find a local tuner.

Ya the XR-1 is the specific muffler by borla. Last I checked it runs about $130ish? If you go with BlackBear or zippy for tunes there's nothing to worry about. They're highly experienced and do great work

Ok cool so just swap out mufflers. Easy enough. With that air raid tube do I keep the stock filter or just get whatever aftermarket filter that fits oem I want?