Muffler question

RottenSS

I have a stock 2003 SS and has the stock exhaust. I looked under there real quick and looks like it is one pipe that splits into 2 in and out of the stock muffler then back to one at the tip. What size pipe is that? 3"? I'm looking to put a Borla XR-1 on my truck and need to know the correct size. Thanks. Looked around a bit but couldn't find size just exhaust systems people have used.

2.75" dual pipes into the muffler, and a single 3.5" tailpipe. If you ran a 3in/3out xr1, all you would need is the magnaflow 3in/3out Y pipe, and a 3-3.5" reducer to adapt the muffler outlet to the bigger tailpipe

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore

I ran a magnaflow with the stock exhaust at first. Then I went to the XR1. But I did a whole custom setup with it. If you want to keep the factory pipe how it is, you will be spending about as much to have it modified to fit the Borla as you will have in it for a whole cat back.

And to answer your question on what the difference between the two is. The multi core is for large engines that need to be toned down. The sportsmans are a bit louder.