Electrical trouble. Most likely taillight

I'm not great with wiring and electronics beyond changing fuses. My passenger side tail light has been stuck on the "stop" brightness for some time. The driver's side works perfectly fine.

I took the fuse out and put it back in hoping that it would solve the problem. The passenger's side tail light was stuck on the "running" brightness, not the "stop" brightness. Then I closed the tailgate and it changed back to the "stop" brightness.

This morning my battery was dead. I'm guessing it's related to the taillight but I'm not completely sure. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't check the harness first. I'm alomst positive those lights are a postive trigger so that means that the "rub through" would have to apply positive voltage to the wire not a ground and if none of the lights are on back there there shouldn't be any postive power anywhere in the harness, so assuming that it is a postive trigger light its very unlikely that the harness is the problem. I would start looking into your wiring in the dash, think of a way something could have been damaged because things like this arent very common. Could some water have gotten through weatherstripping onto the headlight switch? Did you acidentaly kick the trailer box by the pedals? I would look into the relays and wiring in the truck first. Also while your figuring this out taking out that brake fuse on the side of the dash will save your battery.

-Matt