Check engine light flashing

Aksonny

My check engine light comes on flashing whenever I accelerate over 50mph and the light doesn't stay on only when I accelerate it starts flashing. I can go 65mph and cruise at that speed then it shuts off after a while and after 65mph it bogs really bad and doesn't have much power or response. Anyone have any input on my situation before I start taking out the plugs or rip out the cats? I would go check it on a computer but the light doesn't stay on

Sounds like a clogged catalytic converter, avoid going WOT until checking them out. The flashing CEL usually signifies a catalyst damaging random engine misfire. You are supposed to shut the truck down and pull over ASAP.

I second that, a flashing CEL is too be interpretive as take action now, damage is being done. I don't encourage driving it to hook it up to a scanner, but even though the light is not on the codes will stay in the ECU history for awhile if you do happen to get to a scanner.

I had that exact issue on my old supercharged Tahoe. It was a clogged driver side cat. I cut them out to weld in straight pipe but found it way easier to just hollow cats and weld back in. The straight pipe has to be very precisely welded in cause it needs to line up right to bolt Y pipe back in. You will get a check engine light steady after that cause the rear O2 sensors will know something's different. The rear O2s can be shut off in the tune by a good tune guy or you can research and "trick" them using spark plug foulers but that's hit and miss if it will work for you. Hollow cats do sound a lot different I will say. Takes some getting use to. Hope that helps.

I'll probably cut the cats off and gut them and change the plugs and wires because the previous owner did a piss poor job of taking care of the truck they probably weren't changed in a long time then see if that does the trick

I'll probably cut the cats off and gut them and change the plugs and wires because the previous owner did a piss poor job of taking care of the truck they probably weren't changed in a long time then see if that does the trick

I would check your codes before doing work on your truck, but like others have said definitely sounds like clogged cats. Just swing by O'reillys or Autozone and borrow a scanner. I saw your truck driving through the Carrs parking lot a couple days ago and the exhaust sounded really leaky so that might be something to check out. (At least I think it was yours)

Just cut out my cats and one side was clogged and I welded straight pipes in and what a difference! My truck runs and sounds like a bat straight outta hell! No more engine code either and I shoulda done this when I first bought it! Thanks a lot guys this site saved me so much from looking around online.

I cut my cats out and the o2 sensor wasn't on the cat it was behind it and it's not throwing me any codes at all. Note: if you have a stock truck I noticed a drop in low end torque but an improvement in the mid and high end